Chapter 36 ~ TOB

It heard the girl talk to it.

Tob, the soft voice said shakily. Tob.

What's a Tob? It wondered. It tried not to care; but the other side of it wanted to know why something inside it clenched and unclenched at that word, that voice.

Then it felt. The leathery, feathery touch of a...hand. The drops of something wet—tears. Then—

An urging. Its master was planning something. It couldn't tell exactly what. It felt the signal reverberate through its core, urging it to move, to fly to its master's side, to obliterate the survivors of the Savior.

The Savior. The familiar voice just now mentioned something about this Savior...

Stop! Get to your master! Its brain shouted to itself.

But... The Bot inwardly cringe at the battle within itself. For so long, it had been used to only one voice commanding its voice and its actions; but without its master, it had too many thoughts, too many voices.

I'm human!

What was that? The Bot folded itself deeper into the abyss.

Get up!

How could it get up?

I'm human! Save Rena!

Rena? It didn't know of such a word.

Violet! The voice inside him gasped out.

Who? What? It didn't understand. It didn't want to.

Then the Bot felt itself searching, swimming through the darkness of its mind then—

A light. A fire. It saw destruction and blood and chaos and fear. It saw a young man standing in the midst of the misery, holding necks of wide-eyed women in his hands. The man turned around—

It was it. It was the cause of the misery.

Flinching inwardly, if that was possible, the Bot felt itself tumble and fumble.

Was that what its victims saw when it looked at them? Murderous, bright green eyes? Venom and misery smeared across its lips like blood?

I'm human!

Human... What did it mean to be human?

Rena!

The fiery face of a brown-haired girl shone through its eyelids. Fragile and useless, this girl was human. It remembered...the way she fought for her family, the way she fought against it, the way she kept holding onto hope. Human.

Get up!

It couldn't let the girl lose her family, lose all her hope that made her flare like a flame.

I'm human!

Tob held his breath, dove into the abyss of his mind, and resurfaced with new life when he awoke in the surgical room, his hands still warm from the touch of Rena. Wasting no time, he gave himself to the urging calling him and flew to his master's side.

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'*゚▽゚*'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

So, I realize that I always ask for constructive criticism from you guys, but I don't really get any! 🤔😅 And for this chapter, there must be some criticism? Confusing? Weird?

Clarification:
1) I have been editing this book and will include more conflicts inside Tob between his human and machine self.
2) I refer Tob as "it" when it's more machine and "he" when it's more human!

I am really sorry if it's confusing, but I promise it'll be clear soon as I edit it more! Just one more chapter to go before the end of this book!! 😭😉👍🤗