Melanie couldn't stay silent any longer. She leaned a bit across the aisle towards him; she felt strangely drawn to him, somehow making it easier to lean closer. "What's your name?" She whispered it under her breath as quietly as possible. It was the most important question she wanted the answer to—she had to know, before he disappeared on her again.

His once tortured face turned softer and less torturous as his lips curved into a delighted smile. "My name's Braden, and it's very nice to meet you and finally talk to you, Melanie." He said reverently, and her name sounding like a beautifully haunting melody coming from his lips.

Something broke free within Melanie. For the first time since the death of her parents, she actually felt compassion, hope, and most of all relief; assurance that perhaps she wasn't entirely alone as she had originally thought. There might just be a little bit of good in the world after all.

At the sound of her name said so sweetly from his lips, Melanie's heart contracted at the sound, and she swayed in her seat as warmth filled her from head to toe, her brain spinning wildly. It felt like her heart would burst from all the strong emotions she was experiencing all at once.

"Miss Montegrave." The voice broke the connection that had formed between this boy that could fill her with so much warmth, causing Melanie to instinctively jump back in her seat and turn towards Professor Gaffhaven at the front of the room. He had stopped in his droning and was staring at her quizzically. "Not falling asleep in my class, I hope?"

In case he hadn't heard or seen anything, Melanie feigned innocence as she shook her head. "No, sir," she replied in her quiet voice. She sunk lower in her seat, all the warmth sapped right out of her body.

"Well, that makes one of you." Professor Gaffhaven replied in a slightly amused monotone this time. He went back to his lecturing and Melanie glanced out of the corner of her eye to confirm that the boy had indeed vanished again, as was his usual modus operandi, and she blew out a quiet breath from her lips. At least she could put a name to the ghost now... One could definitely say she was finally making some progress.

She couldn't wait to write about this in her journal...

Ally's head violently hit her math book for the millionth time that hour

Ally's head violently hit her math book for the millionth time that hour. Was she really sitting there, in this stupid class, listening to the teacher lecture on about quantum physics? This was freakin' Algebra 2, not Physics class! She knew for a fact that she'd never be using quantum dumb-dumb in the future. Ever!

Dragging her head up from her desk with a huge effort, Ally grabbed the closest thing she had for paper—the note she'd received earlier from the office in her pocket, informing her to show that new girl around—and she flipped it over to the blank side. Sadly, she had to stay awake, lest Professor Wiggins would flip out and give her detention.

Stupid adults, she thought bitterly, doodling randomly on the page. Sometimes drawing or doodling would help simmer her frustrations if she tried not to think about anything for a while. But she rarely did so because of the irrational fear that always clung to the back of her mind like a leech; Doodling didn't bring any happy thoughts, that's for sure...