twenty six

He stood there watching her, wondering about a moment. He often thought of this; examining the ins and outs; analyzing the data.

There was a moment when he felt himself change, but he just couldn't figure out when.

"Yes, the seating can be put in order. I want at least four of them. No- you told me it would be delivered today- fine- Wednesday. And the supplies- yes- like gloves, paper towel, cups, cotton balls etc. Okay, yes, okay..."

He smiled as she ordered people around. The room felt full with her in it. The construction workers put together his dream one by one as she fell next to him on their new soft office couch.

"One more mishap and I'll kick everyone's ass." Anna played with his dress shirt, innocently cuddling up to his side. He was awfully quiet today.  "What's on your mind?" She whispered playfully, making sure the workers passing by couldn't hear.

Harry was fixated on a spot that was on the wall. "The paint-" He muttered, gulping down something in his throat. "It's chipped."

Harry felt transparent in a way. He wasn't used to feeling like he needed someone around. But when she stood up to complain about the paint being wrecked he wanted her warmth back instantly. He missed her even when she was steps away. It scared the living hell out of him.

"I think I'm going to go home for the day." He told her walking towards the elevator.

"Why? Did I do something?" Anna felt transparent, she hated how much he controlled her. When he seemed upset, she was. When he wanted to leave, she did. When he was gone, she wanted nothing more then to have him near.

"No." He said, shaking his head. "It's all these fumes from construction. They are- uh- making my head hurt."

"Do you want me to stop by after work? I can bring you Advil, or soup or something?"

Harry shook his head before leaving, without a kiss goodbye. He wasn't sure what was wrong with him but the last few months were replying in his head non stop, his nerves searching for the moment where things were just... different.

"Harry!" Someone shout, stopping him from entering the elevator. "This cannot be! Is that my Harry!" Her voice caused a gasp to fall from his lips, without looking he knew who it was.

"What are you doing here?" He spoke, pulling her by the arm.

"You really think I wouldn't come and see?!" She wrapped her frail arms around him before kissing him on the cheek. Her expensive fur coat was covering her body, hiding her frail aging figure.

"Oh good you're still here! I forgot to ask you to sign these papers." Anna was walking towards them, looking through a clipboard instead of out in front of her. She heard him speaking while yelling at a worker. "Oh, hello." She smiled at the woman. The resemblance was uncanny.

"Harry who is this beautifully lady?" She smiled at Anna, pearly white teeth glistening under the newly put in lights.  "Aren't you going to introduce us?"

Harry's chest was growing rapidly, nervousness creeping into his blood stream. "Uh mother, this is Anna. Anna this is my mother."

"Oh my goodness. Nice to meet you." She was fumbling over her words, pushing the clipboard under her arm so she could formally greet his mother.