Chapter 4: Cadet Kirk

Start from the beginning

 "I incorrectly assumed you would be truthful in your captain's log," Spock said.

 "Yeah, I would have been if I didn't have to save your life," Kirk quickly shot back.

 "A fact for which I am immeasurably grateful and the very reason I felt it necessary to take responsibility for the actions-"

 "Take responsibility, yeah. That'd be so noble, Pointy, if you weren't throwing me under the bus," Kirk spat back. I let out a quiet gasp.

 Spock's eye widened. "'Pointy?' Is that a derogatory reference to-"

 "Gentlemen," Pike finally interrupted, "I want to inform you that Penny also talked of the incident in her daily journal log."

 I closed my eyes, feeling the burn of Kirk's glare into the side of my face.

 Pike let out a sigh. "Starfleet's mandate is to explore and observe, not to interfere," Pike said while getting up from his chair.

 "Had the mission gone according to plan, Admiral, the indigenous species would never have been aware of our interference," Spock quickly stated.

 "That's a technicality," Pike shot back.

 "I am Vulcan, sir. We embrace technicality," Spock said in an emotionless tone.

 "Are you giving me attitude, Spock?" Pike asked.

 "I'm expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously, sir," Spock quickly answered. "To which are you referring?"

 "Out," Pike said in a disgusted tone. "You are dismissed, Commander."

 Spock glared at Pike for a few moments. He then looked at me and then at Kirk. Kirk just kept staring straight ahead. Spock turned around and walked out of the room, annoyance and disbelief radiating from him. I just stood there awkwardly, looking at Pike with slightly wide eyes. He blinked gently at me and then walked a few steps forwards.

 "You have any idea what a pain in the ass you are?" Pike asked Kirk.

 "I think so sir," Kirk answered honestly.

 "So tell me what you did wrong. What's the lesson to be learned here?" Pike said.

 "Never trust a Vulcan," Kirk answered.

 "Now, see, you can't even answer the question. You lied. On an official report, you lied. You think the rules don't apply to you cause you disagree with them," Pike stated, his voice rising.

 "That's why you talked me into signing up in the first place. That's why you gave me your ship," Kirk said.

 "I gave you my ship because I saw greatness in you. And now, I see you haven't got an ounce of humility," Pike said, getting right in Kirk's face.

 Kirk turned to face Pike. "What was I supposed to do, let Spock die?"

 "You're missing the point," Pike said.

 "I don't think I am, sir. What would you have done?" Kirk asked.

 "I wouldn't have risked my first officer's life in the first place!" Pike shouted back. "You were supposed to survey a planet, not alter it's destiny! You violated a dozen Starfleet regulations and almost got everyone under your command killed."

 "Except I didn't! You know how many crew members I've lost? Not one!" Kirk spat back.

 "That's your problem, you think you're infallible! You think you can't make a mistake. It's a pattern with you! The rules are for other people!" Pike yelled.

 "Some should be," Kirk mumbled.

 "And what's worse is you using blind luck to justify your playing God!" Pike yelled.

 There was a pause. My heart was beating out of my chest. Sweat starting dripping from my forehead. I never liked chaotic situations, which, now that I see it, probably isn't the best when you are constantly on a starship in enemy space. I don't think I had ever been in a more awkward situation.

 "Given the circumstances, this has been brought to Admiral Marcus's attention," Pike said. "He convened a special tribunal, to which I was not invited. You understand what Starfleet regulations mandate be done at this point," Pike said with a pause. "They've taken the Enterprise away from you. They're sending you back to the Academy."

 My heart skipped a beat. I felt tears prickle at the corners of my eyes. This is your fault, Penny! All because you talked about it in your stupid journal!! It's your fault he is demoted!!

 "Admiral.. listen...," Kirk said in a low voice.

 "No, I'm not going to listen.."

 "I can justify..."

 "Why should I listen? I'm not going to listen. You don't listen to anybody but yourself!"

 "I understand regulation, but every decision I've made..."

 "No! I can't listen! You don't comply with the rules, you don't take responsibility for anything, and you don't respect the chair," Pike said in a calmer tone. "You know why? Because you're not ready for it."