Chapter 31 - Party Pooper

Chapter 31—Party Pooper

{ a u t u m n }

"Sweetheart, you're gonna be fine."

"Don't you sweetheart me," I grumbled, my phone pressed between my right shoulder and cheek as I sifted through my closet, frustration clear in my tone. "I don't know why I agreed to this."

The sound of Luke clicking his tongue crackled through the phone's speaker. "Because you want to give Richard a chance, and you're a good person. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right there with you," Luke promised, somewhat calming my exasperated nerves. "I'm picking you up in an hour, yeah?"

I sighed, shoulders slumping a bit as my right hand reached up to grab my phone, straightening my head as I ran my left hand through my short hair. "Yeah," I confirmed, eyeing my closet. "That's if I don't decide to drown myself in the bath."

"Shut up," my boyfriend responded, and I could practically hear him roll his eyes. "I'll see you in an hour, cutie. Love you."

That made me smile a bit. "Love you," I repeated right before hanging up. With a huff, I tossed my phone on the bed behind me before turning back to look into my closet, decided what the hell to wear to this dinner tonight at Richard's place.

After contemplating for a bit, I decided on a pair of white jeans and a black blouse with lace sleeves, pairing my black wedges with it. With a sigh of relief, I moved on to do my makeup, which took me almost forty minutes, if I was being honest. I didn't care for the occasion—my makeup had to look good, period.

Once I was fully dressed and ready, just like he had said, Luke arrived shortly after. The doorbell rang and I got up from where I was sitting next to Mum on the couch in the living room, grabbing my bag as I headed towards the door.

Pulling it open, I felt myself, once again, barely breathing at the sight of Luke—which wasn't anything new at this point. He was wearing a simple black and maroon striped tee, leather jacket, and his black jeans with his pendant necklace hanging around his collarbones; an outfit I had seen him in a hundred times, but found him extremely attractive each time I did. The boy was beyond gorgeous in every sense of the word, and it kind of blew me away.

"Hey," he grinned that happy smile of his, teeth in view as well as dimples, as he twirled his car keys around his fingers and his eyes not-so-discreetly glanced at me up and down. "You look gorgeous."

I grinned, stepping forward and pressing a kiss to his lips, one he responded to easily. "Hmm, so do you," I hummed, smiling as I pulled away and pressed my hands to his chest. Innocently, I tilted my head to the side a bit as I asked, "How about we skip this dinner thing and just stay in?"

Immediately seeing through me, Luke scoffed, taking a hold of my right hand. "Nice try, sweetheart," he chuckled, pulling me towards him as he craned his neck over my shoulder to shout in my house, "I'll see you later, Mrs. H!"

"Bye, dolls!" Mum's voice sounded before Luke shut the door behind me, then proceeded to pull me down the porch and towards his car at the end of the driveway.

I pouted, letting him lead me, as I mumbled, "You suck."

Luke shot me a smirk over his shoulder as he said, "I believe that's your job."

My jaw dropped at his comment, using my free hand to slap him on the arm as I exclaimed, "You're disgusting, Hemmings!"

He grinned, laughing carelessly as he opened the passenger door for me. "Yeah, but you love me," he replied cheerily, wiggling his brows as he waited for me to get in.