Chapter 27 - Risky Business

Chapter 27—Risky Business

{ l u k e }

"I feel like she just needs a push, y'know? She knows she has to face this at some point but she doesn't have enough willpower to go through with it."

Calum shook his head, languidly putting a piece of popcorn in his mouth as his brown eyes remained glued on to the TV, where Michael and Ashton were currently shooting a bunch of aliens. "I don't know, man," the Maori boy replied lazily, shaking his head as he spoke. "Seems tricky to get yourself in the middle of the situation."

"I know," I sighed deeply, fully aware that Calum was right as I sank lower on the couch. "It's just—I know she can do it, but she just doesn't push herself enough. Autumn has to get past this because every time it comes up, it sucks to see how upset she gets."

"It's your boyfriend instinct," Michael reasoned, his eyes not leaving the TV as he continued to play the game. "You love Autumn and you don't wanna see her sad—it's only natural that you want to make her feel better."

"Yeah," I murmured, fingers absentmindedly tapping on the back of my phone as I looked back at the TV screen. I let out another huff, my left elbow propped up on the couch arm as my hand cradled my jaw, wondering what in the world I could do to make Autumn feel better.

Her situation with her dad has really been dragging her down lately. Autumn tried to keep a smile on her face because it was in her stubborn nature to do so, but I could tell that this was wearing her down. And if Richard is as stubborn as his daughter, then I have a firm suspicion that he's going to be relentless in trying to get Autumn to talk to him.

But the more she pushed herself away from this, the harder it will be for Autumn to open up about this. I know her, and I know she'll try to bottle up all the emotions that are filling up rapidly. And as much as I know she doesn't want to deal with this, she has to. Not just because Richard's going to be extremely persistent, but because once she lets out all she needs to, Autumn will be able to properly move on. Get closure, if I'm being honest. I just wish there was some way I could help her with this.

But no—I just had to fall in love with the world's most stubborn girl.

I sighed, head tilting back as I stared up at the ceiling; this could take a while.

***

From: Auttie

Mum needs to give something to your mum, so can you go over to my place & pick up whatever it is? I'd do it myself but I'm at the mall with the girls xx

Dropping my phone in the cup holder after reading Autumn's text, I backed out of Calum's driveway before driving on to the main road, making my way to Autumn's house which was about fifteen minutes away. The drive didn't seem too long, especially since I had the tendency to sing along to whatever song was blasting from my speakers, until I pulled up to Autumn's house.

Parking my car along the curb, I walked up the driveway and towards the front door, stopping to ring the doorbell. Fingers tapping my thighs, I waited for a few seconds until the door swung open, revealing Autumn's mother, who was probably just as short as she was.

An instant smile crossed her face, reminding me of her daughter as she greeted, "Luke!"

"Hi, Mrs. Heralds," I replied, giving her a quick hug before she stepped aside and let me in. "Autumn said you had something to give to my mum?"