V - v AND MEASURE STILL FOR MEASURE

Start from the beginning

 Angelo is practically grovelling at Vincent's feet. Isabella is delighted to see this monster of a man cowering beneath his authority. This is a very different man than the animal who stalked her in his office. There, his voice bellowed with the assertive confidence of one who knows he is invincible; now, Angelo's voice is quivering as he speaks. "Vincent, I have nothing to say. There is no excuse for my behaviour, no words that can express my sorrow, no actions that can right my wrongs. Let this hearing be my confession, let your sentence be my grace. I am guilty, and am at your mercy." 

This is not the response that Isabella was expecting. Angelo, the abuser? Angelo, the manipulator? Angelo, the self-absorbed narcissist? What is it about Vincent Duke that can turn a sociopath like Angelo into a sniffling child? Except he isn't sniffing, he is stoic. He is standing tall, his head down, acknowledging his submission. Almost admirable. "Ok then Angelo, fair is fair. That is how it shall play out then. Mariana Frederick, come here." Mariana approaches Duke and stands next to Angelo. He looks to the floor, not at her. The look of a man condemned. 

"Angelo Lord, have you ever executed a marriage contract with this woman?" 

"Well, yes I have. We were set to be married and there was a contract, but it was never fulfilled—in that, its terms were never met." 

"Mariana, I believe that you have had the contract reviewed by your legal team. What was their assessment of the validity of the marriage contract?" 

"It was determined that as long as Mr. Lord didn't revoke the nuptial contract in writing, which he didn't, all of its terms remain valid. Since marriage contracts typically don't have an expiry date, the only grounds for its annulment would be if the marriage wasn't consummated after the signing of the contract. Which it wasn't, since he refused to speak to me, let alone see me, after that, Mr Duke." 

"Would consummation validate the marriage agreement, Angelo? You are a lawyer, you know this." 

"Well, it might–" 

"Great, so, you two are now married, given that you finally consummated your marriage the other night. Congratulations, Mr. Angelo Lord and Mrs. Mariana Frederick. The justice of the peace will have you sign the documents." 

Mariana is smiling, not a newlywed smile, but the smile of conniving victory. A man in a suit holds up a document in one hand, waves a pen in the other and grins at Angelo. 

"Now, we can always share Mr. Wiggles' little wedding night video with the world, if you would like. Just let me know if you want that to go live." 

Angelo is speechless. "Oh, don't worry Angelo, if the marriage doesn't work out, you can always file for a divorce. I am sure that the courts will help you arrive at a settlement so your bride will be taken care of in perpetuity. Half of your assets would be a reasonable starting point, I would think." 

As if rehearsed, Mariana, wearing Isabella's kilt from high school, leads a dazed Angelo to the table where a man waits with documents. 

Vincent now turns to Isabella. He is looking at her, right inside her. Yes, William, yes, she thinks, before she snaps back to the present. 

"Isabella, come here." His voice is soothing, peaceful. "As I was when I was Fryer, I am again at your service." 

"Forgive me, sir, I had no idea of your true position. I thought that you were, I mean—" 

"You are forgiven. I am the one who is sorry that you had to endure the suffering that you did: your brother's pain, the distress that Angelo has caused to so many, and, of course, my own dishonesty. I should have never relinquished my leadership. It is I who am sorry. Do you forgive me, Isabella?" 

There is not a moment's hesitation. "I do." The words come out loud and solemn, like a vow. She shivers. 

Vincent turns to face the table where Angelo has finished signing the papers. The clerk gives him a nod that they have finished, and Vincent, pointing to Angelo, begins the sentencing of his colleague. He speaks with authority, his voice loud and calm and confident. 

"This lecherous man, who through his devious imagination, has wronged so many; because of his sick perversion, his abuse of his position, his need to control, his belief that he is above the law, the wanton disregard and lack of respect for his fellow humans, particularly his preying on the innocent and most vulnerable—this man is a criminal who deserves nothing less than the fullest sentence of the law. But our laws do little that serve as justice for such vile actions. I do not hold the authority to condemn a man to death, or to prison, but I do have the power to make Angelo Lord regret having ever conceived such a villainous plot." 

Vincent is standing tall, speaking with the authority and the majesty of a royal proclamation. Isabella stands below him, in awe of the man she recently knew as a friend. 

"So, just as Angelo sentenced Claude Measures to a life of shame, ridicule and poverty, I will likewise repay. Call it karma, but in this life, we eventually get that which we deserve: in my experience, haste always pays back with haste; and like the saying goes, measure for measure. So Angelo, you are likewise condemned. Get this dog out of here! We will recess until 1:30, then I will pronounce the sentencing for Mr. Lord, and a few others as well." 

 Angelo flops into a chair, arms hanging at his sides, head down. He is beaten.