She's A Nice Niece ↣ Dan {Requested}

Start from the beginning

*~*~*~*

"And this..." Your sister says, carefully handing you her baby daughter. "Is Autumn."

You gasp a little at the baby in your arms. She's wide awake, her wide blue eyes staring up at you.

Or, rather, staring up at Dan.

He's sanding directly behind your shoulder, looking down at baby Autumn as well. She can't seem to take her eyes off of him.

Autumn laughs and reaches up for him with her little baby fingers.

"She likes you," your sister laughs.

"I-I guess she does," Dan replies, looking with wide eyes at the baby.

"Think you can handle her?"

You notice Dan's face goes a bit pale. "Um..."

"We'll be fine," you reassure your sister for him. "Babysitting masters. Leave it all to us."

*~*~*~*

"Dan."

"Dan."

"Dan."

"Shh..." Dan shushes quietly.

The two of you are in Dan's bedroom, sat on the edge of his bed. Dan has been so fixated on the sleeping baby in his arms, he hasn't even noticed you.

"She's sleeping," he whispers, smiling down at Autumn.

You can't help but smile too as you softly lean your head on Dan's shoulder.

Babysitting today went better than expected.

Despite Dan's nervousness, he immediately took a liking to the baby, and the baby took a liking to him.

He put cartoons on the TV, played peek-a-boo with her, found some stuff around the flat for her to play with, and kept her entertained all by himself.

Dan even drew cat whiskers on his face. Baby Autumn thought it was the best thing ever. She kept poking his nose and giggling, making Dan smile and laugh right along with her.

At one point, Autumn found a pack of Phil's stickers lying on the floor. Dan opened them for her, and she immediately stuck one right in the middle of his forehead. Dan smiled as she lightly pressed metallic cat stickers all over yours and Dan's faces.

When you tried to play with her though, Dan always interjected and made sure it was him that made her laugh, him that made her smile. And it always was. Your niece simply adored him. As soon as Dan walked into the room, the baby would squeal and giggle like her favorite cartoon character themselves walked in.

And all of Dan's nerves subsided once he got used to babysitting. Eventually you stopped being nervous as well, and the two of you just had fun with the baby.

At around eight o'clock, Autumn finally fell asleep.

"Dan," you whisper, minding the sleeping baby in his arms.

"Hm?" He sounds, lightly rocking Autumn back and forth a little bit.

"Why were you so nervous?" You ask. "About the baby, I mean."

Dan twists his mouth and sighs. "I dunno." He lifts his shoulder in a shrug. "I reckon I was kind of...worried."

You half-laugh. "About what?"

Dan smiles down at you, then looks at Autumn. "The baby. She's just so...small...a-and cute." He smiles, his one dimple showing. "I want to protect her, you know? She's just a baby and I want her to have a good bit of life before she has to grow up and face the world and—"

Dan looks down and blushes. "I'm rambling."

You smile and lean into him. "It's okay. You're right." You reach down and lightly brush Autumn's cheek with you finger. "She is small."

"So small!" Dan enthuses. "And precious! She must be protected. And you see her eyes? They looked just like Phil's!"

Dan pauses and looks at you, his face suddenly serious. "(Y/N), I want a baby."

Your eyes widen, and you blush deeply. "D-Dan, you know we can't—! With your YouTube channel—a-and the tour! And what about Phil? There's no room in this flat for a nursery! A-And you can't make videos with a baby to take care of—!"

"(Y/N)."

"I mean, I wouldn't mind, but," you mumble.

"(Y/N)," Dan chuckles softly. "I didn't mean right now. I just meant somewhere in the future." He shifts his eyes down to Baby Autumn and smiles contently to himself. "Somewhere in the near future."

fin

CUTE. CUTE. CUTE.
WAY.
TOO.
CUTE.