Chapter Fifteen: The Hanging

Maria's POV:

I stood on the platform with the sun beating down on my neck. I looked to my left and saw Jack. His hands bound just like mine. "Jack Sparrow for crimes...," The announcer said. "Captain, Captain Jack Sparrow," He said. After Jack the man read about me. "Maria Santiago for crimes committed on the seas such as piracy, murder, thieving, and other crimes against the crown. You are both tried and found guilty and shall be sentenced to hang from the neck until dead. God rest your souls," He finished.

I looked to Jack he smiled. "I'm sorry love. If not for me you wouldn't be in this mess," He said. "I don't quite care. I had an amazing adventure with you Captain Jack Sparrow and that's all I need," I said. He smiled at me. Suddenly as the hang man let the lever go a dagger cut my rope, and shortly after a sword landed under Jack's feet saving him before he dropped completely. I cut my hands, and took off the cut noose. I ran up to the platform to find Will fighting the hangman. I found the dagger and cut Jack down. I ran and flipped over the platform towards Jack. I ran up beside him. I punched a guard in the face and then kicked one in the stomach. We came to the edge of the fort.

The guards surrounded us in a circle. Jack and I both had our backs against Will's.

"I thought we might have to endure some manner of ill-conceived escape attempt but not from you," Norrington said.

"When we returned to Port Royal I offered you clemency, and this is how you thank me? By throwing in your lot with them? They're pirates!" the Governor said.

"And good people. If all I have achieved here is that the hangman earn two pairs of boots instead of one, so be it. At least my conscience will be clear," Will said.

"You forget your place, Tuner," Norrington growled.

"It's right here...between you and them." Will said.

Elizabeth came to his side. "As is mine," She said. "Elizabeth. Lower your weapons. For goodness sake put them down," The Governor said. I watched as the soldiers pointed the guns away from us. I looked to Jack who smiled at me and looked to the Governor, Will, Elizabeth, and Norrington. "So, this is where your heart truly lies, then?" Norrington asked. "It is," Elizabeth answered.

Jack came out from behind Will. "Well I'm actually feeling rather good about this. Love?" Jack said giving me his arm. I gladly took it. "I think we've all arrived at a very special place, eh? Spiritually....Ecumenically....Grammatically?" Jack said. He looked to Elizabeth. "Elizabeth.... it would never have worked out between us darling. I'm sorry," he said. I rolled my eyes. I looked to her and shrugged. "Will...," I said. "Nice hat." Jack nodded his head approvingly.

We ran towards the edge of the fort. "Friends! This is the day that you will always remember as the day that...," Jack was cut off when he fell back into the sea. "I think I shall finish it for him. Remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow and Maria Santiago," I said. I winked towards Will and Elizabeth. I saluted them all then jumped off me self.

Jack's POV:

As Maria hit the water I watched intently. She surfaced next to me. "I finished your little speech up there for ya," She said. "Did you now?" I asked. I pulled her close to me. The sudden contact I guess made her gasp. I laughed. We looked to the horizon and saw the Black Pearl. "Come on then," she urged. We swam towards the Pearl. The crew threw a rope to us. I gripped the rope with one hand and wrapped the other arm around Maria's waist. She held tight to my waist.

The crew hauled us in the air and we crashed near the helm. We looked up and saw Gibbs. "I thought you were suppose to stick to the code?" Maria said. "We figured they were more like guidelines," He said. I laughed and he helped me up. I dragged Maria to her feet. I looked towards Gibbs and the deck of me Pearl. "Captain Sparrow," Maria called. I turned towards her. She held me hat in one hand and my coat in the other. I placed the hat on my head. I turned and she placed the coat on my shoulders. "The pearl is yours Jack," she said.

I gripped the wheel. I noticed everyone was still watching. "On deck you scabbards dogs," I shouted. I turned around to see Maria smiling at me. "What?" I asked. "Nothing, it's just that you have everything you want know," She said. I pulled her towards me. "Not everything," I said. I pulled her into a kiss. The kiss was sweet and loving. I pulled away. I found me self humming 'A pirates life for me'. "...And really bad eggs," I sung. Maria laughed. "Drink up me hearties yo ho," I finished. "Oh shut it," She said. She kissed me once more. This kissed started our own little adventure across the seas.