Chapter Two: Saving a life

Maria's POV:

The two very stupid gentleman set the pirate down and began to talk with him. I became unamused with the conversation even though the tales the pirate told were quite good. When I was about to stand up and leave I heard a splash. I looked behind them and saw a ripple near the cliffs. Someone shouted, "ELIZABETH!" The three men went to the rail and looked at the rippling water. "Will you be saving her then?" The pirate asked. "I can't swim," the fatter one said. The other shook his head. "Pride of the King's navy you are," He said he began to remove his coat and effects.

I ran from behind them. "You take forever mate," I said. I ran to the rail and jumped over diving down. Opening my eyes I saw a shape at the bottom. I swam down faster and found the girl. I grabbed her and swam to the surface gasping for air. I suddenly began to sink because of all the cloth she had on. I struggled to get back to the surface, but she was too heavy. Suddenly a second pair of hands came over and tore off the outer layer of her cloth. I looked and saw the pirate grab Elizabeth and swim up. I broke the surface but was suddenly sunk below the waves again. I looked at my feet and the abandoned cloth as tangled around my boots.

I struggled as hard as I could, but the cloth wouldn't give. Suddenly I felt my breath leave me and then it was black.

Jack's POV:

When I broke the surface of the water, I hauled the lass to the dock where the two guards I was tricking pulled her up. "No breathing!" One said removing the hair from her face. "Move," I said pushing them out of the way. I pulled a dagger and cut the laces of her corset. The lass spat up sea water onto the deck and gasped for air. "Never would have thought of that," He said. "Clearly you've never been to Singapore," I said. Suddenly something gold around the lass's neck caught my eye. Before I could look at it I noticed the girl from before wasn't in sight. I knew exactly where she was.

I dove in and swam as fast as I could. I saw her floating amid below the surface. Her brown hair swirled around her, and her black shirt floated gently in the water. I grabbed her arm and tore away the cloth encircling her boots. I surfaced and quickly swam back to the dock. Once more the guards hauled another woman onto the deck. I came up and saw she wasn't breathing. I placed my ear to her mouth and heard no sound. I placed my hands on her chest and began to press quickly trying to get the breath back in her. I listened again, nothing. I did it a second time and the lass gasped for air. She shot straight up, and she grabbed my arm. I grabbed her forearms and watched her inhale and exhale the air around us. Suddenly I heard the thunder of feet on the wooden dock.