Chapter Nine: Isla de Muerta

Maria's POV:

I quickly fell asleep in the quiet. By morning I heard a small snore. I looked behind me and saw Sparrow laying next to me. I nearly lost it. I jumped up, and quickly left his rooms. Thankfully the crew wasn't up so the deck was abandoned. I quickly moved below deck and back to my empty bunk. I didn't want Jack to find me at that moment. I dug myself deep into the wool blanket. My mind was full of worry and regret. But then a small thought came to me. A thought of how close we were. At how he smelled of rum and sea water

I quickly shook the thought away. When the crew began to stir I realized they were waking When I was positive all the crew had left I quickly left my bunk and went out on deck. I saw Jack at the helm where he usually was. I found Will and Gibbs talking while untangling ropes. "That was before I met him, back when he was Captain of the Black Pearl," Gibbs said. "What?" I said. The two of them looked at me. Gibbs gestured me to sit on the deck with them. Gibbs began to explain that Barbossa had marooned Jack on an island for the treasure that lie at Isla de Muerta.

"How did he escape?" I asked.

"Well I'll tell ye. He waited out into the shallows and there he waited three days and three nights till all manner of sea creatures came acclimated to his presence. And on the fourth morning, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles lashed 'em together and made a raft." Gibbs said.

"He roped a couple of sea turtles?" Will asked.

"Aye sea turtles," Gibbs said.

"What did he use for rope?" I asked.

Gibbs made a curios face and looked up behind me. I turned to see Jack standing over us. "Human hair. From my back. Let go the anchor!" Jack said. "Let go the anchor sir!" The rest of the crew shouted. I held back a face of disgust at the remark about human hair. "Mr. Tuner, Maria and I will be going ashore," He said.

"Captain, what if the worst should happen?" Gibbs asked. He looked to Will then me and then back to Gibbs. "Keep to the code," He said. "Aye, the code," Gibbs said. We quickly loaded into the dingy and rowed into the cave. As we did I could see the pearl in the distance. Her black sails torn with holes. We entered the cave and I kept my eyes forward. Suddenly the lantern Will held landed on a skeleton. I flinched and looked forward again. Jack smirked as he rowed. I didn't dare look at him in the eye afraid of what might happen if I do. "What code is Gibbs to keep if the worst should happen?" Will asked.

"Pirate's code. Any men that falls behind...," Jack said. "Is left behind," I finished. Jack smirked again at me. "No heroes amongst thieves, eh?" Will said. Jack began to talk to Will about how he was on his way to becoming a pirate. Suddenly as we neared I heard shouting. We pulled up on the shore. I jumped out and checked my belt. I had a pistol I borrowed in my belt and a sword on my hip. Jack passed me and whispered, "Stay close behind me." I listened because I had no idea what we were dealing with.

We came to an opening littered with gold. "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate," Jack said staring into the cave. I joined him followed by Will. I saw Barbossa standing by a Elizabeth behind a stone chest. "Gentlemen, the time has come! Our salvation is nigh! Our torment is near at end," Barbossa shouted. "Elizabeth," Will said. "Punished, we were. The lot of us, disproportionate to out crimes! Here it is," Barbossa said. He kicked the lid of the chest open to reveal golden coins.

"The cursed treasure of Cortes himself. Every last piece that went astray, we have returned. Same for this!" Barbossa said pointing towards the necklace around Elizabeth's neck. "Jack!" Will said. He lunged forward. Jack and I grabbed his shoulders and pulled him back making coins spill. I heard the chatter of a monkey. "Not yet," I hissed. "We wait for the opportune moment," Jack whispered. I heard Barbossa babble on. "When's that? When it's of greatest profit to you?" Will asked as we walked back to the dingy. "May I ask you something?" Jack questioned Will. "Have I ever given you reason not to trust me? Do us a favor, I know its difficult for you, but please stay here and try not to do anything stupid." Jack walked passed him back to the hole. I followed after him.

"What's the plan Captain?" I asked. "Wait for the opportune moment," he whispered. I waited and watched as Barbossa lifted the knife. Suddenly I felt something slam in the back of my head and then I saw darkness. The last words I heard were, "Sorry Jack, I'm not going to be your leverage."