The Unveiling || Zoe Arsenist

IMPORTANT: If you entered for the Sharing Nightmares Anthology, please make sure to send in your FULL story to thewriteplacecertified@gmail.com in the next 24 hours(Before midnight on Wednesday, EDT)

And even more scary-goodness XD We unveil our next Guest Writer.

=||=

I'm Zoe Aarsen, although that's my pseudonym! I also write on Wattpad as @caitlynduffy

I'm Zoe Aarsen, although that's my pseudonym! I also write on Wattpad as @caitlynduffy. I studied writing for film/tv at NYU, and I began writing YA fiction as a hobby. My books have been downloaded from iTunes and Amazon globally over 2 million times. I live in Los Angeles.

WHAT IS YOUR MOST POPULAR HORROR BOOK?

My most popular horror book is Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board, which is kind of like a version of Final Destination for girls. The game on which it's based has been featured on American Horror Story and in the movie The Craft, but it's actually a game that kids played during the Black Plague because so many people were dying all around them. The general gist of the game is that one person lies down on her back as the "body," the "storyteller" of the game tells a creative story about how the body died, and then as the other players chant "light as a feather, stiff as a board," they're able to lift the weightless body toward the ceiling until the spell is broken. I played the game for the first time when I was eleven years old at a Halloween party, and it scared the heck out of me. My book is about a teenage girl named McKenna who plays the game with her friends at a Sweet 16 sleepover party, and the new girl in town, Violet, steps into the role as the "storyteller." McKenna and her friends don't realize that Violet has control over an evil curse, and soon after the party, the stories that Violet has told about how people at the party will die start coming true.

" McKenna and her friends don't realize that Violet has control over an evil curse, and soon after the party, the stories that Violet has told about how people at the party will die start coming true

WHAT SCARED YOU MOST, BOTH AS A KID AND AN ADULT?

What scared me most as a kid was that for a while, my family lived in Salem, MA (where the witch trials were held) and my bedroom was in the attic (truth!). What's worse is that the attic was only half-finished; my side of it had drywall and wallpaper, but on the other side of a locked door was this horrible, dusty area that was all exposed beams and cobwebs. Terrifying. As an adult what scares me most is the idea of not being in control. Horror movies and books that present scenarios where something awful is about to happen and there's nothing you can do about it... Don't Breathe had me pretty scared.

YOU ARE FIRMLY SET IN THE REALMS OF HORROR, WHAT THRILLS YOU ABOUT THE GENRE?

What I think is thrilling about horror is the idea that there are so many variations on it, all of which are great. There's true machine horror: a monster is coming and it's going to get you and you can't reason with it, and that kind of Godzilla horror is just fun. Then there's psychological horror, in which as a creator you can exploit your characters' weaknesses. I love when there's a chance to create a way for a character to escape and save themselves, and you make the audience frantic with wonder about whether or not they'll figure it out in time. I'm a huge fan of Stephen King, and he's the master of teasing those kinds of situations.

HAVE YOU READ ANY STORIES HERE ON WATTPAD THAT'S GIVEN YOU THE CHILLS?

I read "SIN" by ShaunAllan and it was really disturbing and scary.  His book "Mr. Composure," which was written as part of a campaign for "The Purge" movie series, also kept me up very late at night.

WHAT'S YOUR TOP 5 THINGS TO DO FOR HALLOWEEN?

M

y top 5 things to do on Halloween are to buy candy well in advance before stores sell out, wear black or orange to work for the day, stay home to distribute candy to trick or treaters, watch lots of classic horror movies like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street, and to try to do at least one really special thing depending on where I live that year. When I lived in New York, I loved going up to Tarrytown at Halloween because you can go to Washington Irving's house to hear ghost stories around a bonfire, and the headless horseman makes a surprise appearance! In Los Angeles, I love the Halloween parade in West Hollywood.