Eventually

--= Vikk's + POV =--

The silence struck through quietly, gently, like a small breeze as it rushed past ruffling my shirt and lifting my hair.

The messy bedhead of hair that I've had for weeks, months now has been just the same way the wind had left it.

My heart heaved, nudging me forward to say something yet I couldn't manage to find the words to leave my mouth.

Considering sentences that bubbled in my mind, I chose the most blunt and easiest to say possible and spilled it into the now damaged quiet.

"I can't hide away forever."

Preston rustling, he poked his head up from it flat out on the grass now shaped in the form of him due to the fact that we laid in that position all the way from dusk to what I assume is an hour or so before dawn.

"Who says you can't?" Preston shoving a smirk onto his face, my eyes cast downwards and discomfort clouded my thoughts trying to sew together what entirely to say.

"....I'm not sure. I just know I can't stay here." A frown now grew onto Preston's face, the smirk now dropping into a twisted, disappointed scowl as he sputtered, not believing what he had heard.

"W-Why not?!"

"I need to see them." Preston's mouth slipped out quite the curse words I had honestly not expected and I could feel a subtle heat wrapping around me as Preston sat himself up groaning.

"How long have I been out here with you?" Preston asked.

The question sounding desperate, almost hollow actually yet I poked my head upwards as I thought counting the days where we just sort of looked at the sunrise or sunset.

"Around a week or two." I blinked. Preston gazing at me for a while, thoughts and plotting going on through his head, he finally backed his eyes away looking down in defeat.

"Screw it." Preston sighed. A sour look planted onto his face, I raised an eyebrow trying to further the conversation yet all I received was a glare so I pursed my lips shutting myself up.

Motioning for me to get up, a shudder rushed through me as I slipped some water out of the river and up to my lips getting myself a drink without actually having to move to the shore of the water.

He huffed, not entirely knowing how else to respond I followed him in silence as we now, with tension in the air, marched onwards towards the cottage that Preston seemed not too interested in going back to.

The dirt path I ran down when I saw him not even a fortnight ago when he had threatened me we tread across it. My upper teeth hooking onto my lower lip, I cringed as Preston sighed again.

His breath heavy and weighted, guilt slightly gnawed at me along with determination. I needed to go back, Preston didn't have to. But I guess he wanted to see I made it there safely.

What are they going to do when they see me? Is everything going to crumple? If they all start fighting and yelling, is Preston going to protect me? Will he turn against me?

All these questions I can't answer I just decide to prepare for the worst and lightest situations, thinking of most gruesome to most over exaggerated like death.

I just hope to god Lachlan forgives me, I don't know what I'd do without for him for this long. It was so god damned hard staying away.

But I guess I'm finally coming back.

Even, if it severely annoys Preston for his mission to fail.