Chapter 64

Damon's POV

She was here. Finally. But she didn't recognize me. That son of a bitch did something to her.

The mark had disappeared. It had faded completely. Marks don't fade that quickly. The mark of the alpha king should never have faded like that. It almost brought a growl out of me, but that's what the Hunter wanted.

She was too thin. She still had her beauty, her gorgeous features, but her body was thinner. Her cheeks were slightly hollow, her wrists skin and bone, and her physique more flat. She hadn't been eating, whether intentionally or unintentionally. It brought another flame to my anger.

Emerald was shaky. She stood in front of the table, and every time her hand went out to grab something, it would shake, and she'd pull back. Finally her hands landed on a pistol. The silver metal reflected off the light, and the hunter shook his head.

"No. No guns." Emerald's hand left the weapon, letting it fall back onto the table.

"What the hell do you want me to do?" She snapped. Her hands clenched and she turned around to face the hunter.

The Hunter grinned at her. "You know what I want you to do. You just can't use a gun. I don't trust you with a gun just yet. Try a knife, if you want it quick." His eyes were hungry, like a predator. I growled at him, my hands pulling at the metal.

She shook her head. "You are fucking sick." She mumbled, and the hunter grinned like a Cheshire Cat at that statement, but he remained silent.

Emerald closed her eyes as her hand latched around a sharp blade. It was large, and the silver blade was obvious. It would be a swift way to kill someone. I just had to get her to turn it around on the Hunter instead of doing what he wanted and killing me.

She didn't move from the table, but her hand was still wrapped around the knife.

"Emerald, time is ticking. Tick tock, tick tock." He mocked, tapping his wrist.

She picked up the knife and walked over to me, not looking at my face. Her breaths were shallow, and her entire body shook. She stopped about two feet in front of me.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She whispered, her voice so quiet I knew the Hunter wouldn't hear it. He was leaning against the opposite wall now, his arms crossed as he observed.

Emerald still had the knife in her hand hanging low, down by her thighs. Her head was low, and her face flushed.

Something had happened for her to forget me, entirely, and I had to get her to remember. But I was running out of fucking time.

But goddess, her scent. It hasn't changed, and smelling it after to so long that my wolf, who was supposed to be under the effects of wolfsbane, woke up. I could feel the power returning, slowly but surely.

"If you're going to kill me, at least let me tell you something."

She took in a long breath. "I don't want to–he told me–he would've–"

I shook my head. "I know. I know. Just come closer, let me tell you one last thing."

She hesitated. It was a smart move. If I had been any other wolf I would've wanted her to have this hesitation. But as her mate, I felt a pang to my chest. She didn't remember me. I just had to hope to the fucking goddess that this would work.