The Stranger XI: Preparations

Bogo considered his options; massaging the bridge of his muzzle. "Hang on, so you mean that sending a helicopter would be dangerous?"

"It is just a wild guess Chief; We do not know how well prepared they are in terms of firearms therefore, playing safe for now would be a better option," Nick proposed. He watched as the usual band of news hungry reporters violently jostled their way to the front of the crowds, microphones in tow. "Perhaps seeking attention from the media is one thing they wanted."

"They want to be famous?" Judy quipped, intentionally flashing a dumb question.

"Er... no. More like something along the lines of delivering a performance, Carrots. If they want to influence the masses, this is the optimal method to do so."

"Please do not push against the police tape! This area has been cordoned off for your safety!"

Wolford was close by, barking through the loudspeaker that he had in his paw as Fangmeyer did his best to hold back all the agitated news anchor crews.

Judy observed as the two as they handled the rowdy crowd. Wolford was still clad in his dri-FIT clothes; to him, the ZPD uniform was too stiff and hot for his liking. Chief Bogo had warned him countless of times to stick to the dress code but the orders had always fallen on deaf ears. She chuckled silently - Nick was the exact opposite of them in terms of suiting up; wearing the same collared Hawaiian shirt outfit ever since he started hustling had made him more accustomed towards the uniform instead. The last time she ever saw him in dri-FIT was during his officer training.

"What, Whiskers? Hit your funny bone?" Nick had noticed.

"It's nothing," Judy sniffed.

He eyed her skeptically. "... Right."

"Wolford! Lend me a paw, would ya? These guys are too much for me to handle alone!" Fangmeyer complained.

"Hold up, I will aid you as soon as I address the other side," Wolford exclaimed, giving the faulty loudspeaker a firm whack on the receiver.

"You better hurry up!"

"Enough watching Fangmeyer and Wolford; We may not have an ordinary robbery to deal with," Chief Bogo snapped, pulling the two back to the situation at hand. Attention back to him, he then signaled for two other officers. "Johnson, Anderson! I require your assistance."

The lion and the polar bear officer joined the meeting.

"Alright, here is the plan. I need you four to enter the building in pairs, search the area and secure the hostage. Judging from how they have intentionally left the entrance open, they might have anticipated us beforehand and perhaps set up a couple of traps. Due to that, Anderson's pair would enter second."

Anderson exchanged glances with his partner. "Why?"

"If it is indeed laced with traps or set for an ambush, you two being larger would be an easy target," Bogo answered thoughtfully. "We must take into consideration that we are just typical police officers and not tactically equipped SWAT specialists."

Bogo pointed at the vests which they were wearing. "These Kevlar vests may protect you from a simple gunshot of a handgun, but who knows what type of firearms they possess. This is not a computer game where you run off face first into the war zone and obtaining multiple bullet wounds like it is nothing - in reality, one lethal, well aimed shot is all it takes to remove a valuable Officer off the ranks permanently."

Anderson and Johnson gulped.

"Which brings me back to my decision. Anderson, I need you to lob a tear gas grenade into the building. Then, I need Wilde to enter first," Bogo locked eyes with Nick. "You are the best when it comes to sensing danger. Give a signal if the coast is clear - If it's an ambush, exit the building immediately."