The Stranger IV: A New World

It was nothingness. I was floating aimlessly in a place completely isolated from everything physical. My conscience was the only item that I kept along with me. I was void of all senses, void of time and my existence was questionable. Was this the afterlife? Heaven must have been a lie if this was what it truly was. I tried to recollect what had happened that brought me here but my mind was clouded. One hypothesis clicked in my head - am I a spirit now like how all those thick leather bound books and hidden cults preached about the supernatural? No, such things are not possible... are they? But one thing I knew for sure was that I was in constant movement, despite being blinded by a veil of black. Where was this unexplainable current taking me to I had no idea. I was carried by the formless tides for a while through the timeless state of limbo before my conscience was robbed from me as well.

"Bonnie, do you think he's dead?" I heard a voice.

"Stu! What nonsense are you blabbering? Of course he's not, Hun," Another voice.

"He might be asleep, try poking him with a twig."

I heard the sounds of footsteps in the grass. It went silent for a while before I heard it again. This time, I felt something prodding me on the back. Wait, I felt something? I am not dead? Just then, everything came pouring back into my mind. Camping trip, the woods, sneaking off with Darren... and confronting a bear like a suicidal maniac. Bear? Oh god, the bear!

"Bear!" I yelled out as I jolted up from the grass patch. If the creature did not feast on me, did help arrive in time? I tried to see what was around me but my eyes were still adjusting to the bright daylight. Squinting, I could only make out two seemingly short figures standing in front, the two voices which I heard were probably them.

"Bear! Where?" a voice exclaimed in shock.

"There are no bears in Bunny Burrows silly," the other voice, presumably the female, answered.

Bunny Burrows? What is that? Wait a minute, where the heck am I?

I rubbed the crust off my eyes, removing the swab of blurry mist which impaired my vision. I took a second glance at the figures. Two rabbits? I sighed in relief. Hang on there, they are wearing clothes; Farmer clothes! And they were the ones speaking! Whoa there, that is very odd, in a multitude of ways. I stared at the two bunnies blankly, dumbfounded as I tried to process what my eyes were seeing. I observed my surroundings once more, taking it all in. I was in a field of carrots... and close by was a tractor. Okay; talking animals, dressed like humans, and they possess technology. This seemed way too familiar. I was swiftly hit by an epiphany. Being my curious self, I decided to confirm my hunches.

"Bonnie," I pointed to the bunny clad in a pink dress. "Stu," I said as I shifted my finger towards the other rabbit who was wearing blue overalls over a plaid shirt and a green hat with a carrot logo resting on his head. The two of them gasped in surprise.

"How did you know our names?" Stu asked, perplexed. Bonnie stood beside him, nodding as well.

Crap. My guess was indeed correct but how in the world am I going to explain this now? I gave a wry smile. "Who wouldn't know of the parents of the great Officer, Judy Hopps?" I crossed my fingers hard mentally - hopefully this was sufficient explanation; and it was.

"Well my my, am I flattered," Bonnie replied with a sweet smile as she averted her gaze from me in joy.

"Of course! Everyone knows of Jude the dude," Stu noted proudly. He studied my apparel once again. "So, are you here to look for Gideon?"

"Gideon?" I repeated in confusion. I get that the pie loving fox lived in Bunny Burrows but how was I related?

"You know, you foxes do have a tendency to hang out sometimes," Stu chuckled, snapping the straps of his overall.