Doughnut Disaster VIII

The early rays of sunlight peeked through the half opened blinds of the office window, painting strips of gold on Nick's face; One of them masking perfectly over his eyelids. The disturbed fox mumbled in discomfort from the bright light, instinctively shading his eyes with an arm. But doing that placed him in an awkward sleeping position. Groaning a little louder, this time, he rolled his body over to the other side, which was inhabited by completely nothing but air. Nick let out a surprised yelp as he fell, landing face first on the navy blue carpeted floor with a gruesome thud.

"Owww, my muzzle!" Nick cried out in pain, paws reached out immediately to his face, massaging his muzzle. Apparently he had fallen from an enormous office chair. Why in the world was he sleeping on a ridiculously large chair, he thought to himself. Oh, right, the traffic cameras... Judy's oversized office. One paw still tending his bruised snout, he retrieved his phone to check the time. It was six in the morning. "Why do I always get injured... Maybe I should start applying for health insurances now that I am being paid a fixed salary," he muttered, annoyed that it was already the second bruise he had collected since yesterday. The previous one was not even done recovering yet and now he had obtained another.

"Nick? You all right? That's quite a fall," Judy exclaimed worriedly as her head peered precariously over the edge of the chair's seat. She was awake as soon as she heard Nick land hard on the ground. "I heard a loud thud, does it hurt?"

"I'm okay, next time remind me not to fall asleep on a giant piece of furniture," Nick said as he smacked his lips and bared his teeth, using his tongue to check for any injuries in his muzzle. Luckily, there were none. "I have yet to tackle my first criminal but here I am, slowly killing myself," he added solemnly, earning a giggle from her. Nick stretched himself, relieving the knots which accumulated in his body overnight. He half frowned, still feeling the tension and soreness in his arm and back muscles from yesterday's "exercises". Rubbing his drowsy eyes, he turned to face the rabbit. Judy had already hopped off the chair and was walking in his direction.

"I will try to next time," Judy replied, peeling a strand of loose string which had attached itself onto Nick's arm. "You really are a clutz, you know that."

"Hey, I am pretty sure I am not that clumsy," Nick said with a smirk. "I do not think that slipping off the car seat from an unannounced emergency break and falling off a high chair when my body is half dead from heavy labour are accountable for being called as a clutz."

"And I would not count pressing keys on a keyboard as heavy labour," Judy chuckled as she eyed him condescendingly. "Speaking of which, how are we supposed to infiltrate the black sheep market? I am certain they do not have a welcome policy for police officers."

"We will perform our espionage during night time," Nick answered, ironing his wrinkled uniform with his paws. "Entering the market would be a piece of cake. We just need to disguise ourselves."

Judy placed her paws on her hips, sceptical of his plan. "And where are we going to find such wonderful disguises?"

"Leave it to me."

It was nearly ten in the late hours of night time when the pair arrived at the outer perimeters of the presumed market. To avoid detection, they had parked their police cruiser several blocks away and travelled the rest of the journey by foot. They hid behind a turquoise dumpster, watching as several black sedans rode past them.

"Are you sure about this?" Judy hissed at Nick. She was suited in a tuxedo and so was the fox beside her. Apparently Nick had managed to get his hands on two fancy and visibly costly suits to wear as a disguise. She had earlier tried to pry him of how he got his paws onto such high-class fashion wear but the only answer he could provide was that he asked for Finnick's help. She shifted uncomfortably in her spot. "I feel rather out of place."