The Stranger V: Farm Stay

"Do make yourself comfortable; we have farm business to attend to, so catch you back when the sun starts to set!" Stu voiced out as the rabbit couple exited the farmhouse.

Bidding them a quick farewell, I sunk back down against the soft pillows of the couch. They were kind enough to let me rest indoors till evening when they come back from work. During the afternoon it was accessible to the community under the supervision of a few Hopps family members, most of them were manning the booths right outside while doing so. Seemingly, this place was opened to public visitors like myself; which I had clearly mistaken it for their actual living quarters.

"So many things happening today, huh," I muttered under my breath as l stared at the ceiling.

Multiple things all happened to me so chaotically that it did not feel like it took place on the same day. Speaking about time sense, time seemed to have stopped running during the whole moment which I was out and unconscious. Was there even a scientific explanation for such a mind boggling event? Perhaps I should have watched more science fiction; Quantum physics was Greek to me. I raised my "hands" to my face. I am a fox now – is that a good thing or a bad thing? I really needed a nice long look at myself in the mirror if I ever find one. I reached an arm under my shirt, ruffling the soft fur which had now covered my formerly bare chest entirely. Man, this was weird. For some reason, it felt strangely good that it was quite embarrassing. Luckily, no one was here to see me acting all strange and looking dumb. Maybe that was why dogs always loved a good old belly rub, I believed.

An idea sprung up to my mind. Seating up straight, I tried to produce a growl. To my disappointment, it still sounded like me – a typical teenaged human letting out a subdued grunt. I guess I do not know how to fox yet, I chuckled. The only fox thing which I had gained apparently was fluid control of my tail and a way better sense of smell. Even from the couch, I could distinguish the fragrance of the marketed produce outside. Now to hope that I would never come across anything foul smelling.

Living life here might take some time and effort to get used to how things work around here as an animal; but I would prefer to return back to the real world. My friends and family would be worried sick, especially my family. However, on second thought, I may have been eaten alive or clawed to death by that ruthless bear – resulting in me being transported to another world to continue my life as a new being. It was demoralizing to think of it that way but I do not see any other logical justification as to how I was brought here. I sighed, closing my eyes. How am I going to proceed from here? I needed guidance.

Guidance... Oh yes, my smartphone!

I sat up straight. If my clothes were still intact when I was brought here, it should have transferred along as well. To my relief, I did feel an object weighing down inside of my pants side pocket. Reaching into the pocket, I grabbed hold of the smartphone. I hesitated.

"This better have not run out of battery power," I pleaded.

To have a phone running on a flat battery was the most clichéd situation one could ever dared imagine when they are stranded and lost. I had seen plenty of scenes which played out just like that, though majority of those times were from extracts in various thriller or survival movies. But that did not rule out the possibility of me suffering from the same unthinkable fate when I pulled out my own smartphone.

Thank the gods, the phone was healthy and in working condition. And it had around sixty percent of battery left to spare. I would have figured the numbers to be way lesser than what it was right now since I remembered that I had carelessly forgotten to charge it back at home. Perhaps Mom had plugged it to charge when she was up in the morning. What a life saver! I squinted in confusion as I noticed some kind of title on the top left corner of my phone screen.