Chapter 11

Warnings: None

     ~Lachlan's P.O.V~

'Level 8: Donkey kong. Save the princess.'

Vikk shoots me a confused glance. Donkey kong, a popular game, has many levels and stages... And many different games for that matter. If we had one guess I don't think we'd guess the right level first.

We spawn in a 2-D room but, because logic, we can see our surrounding as if it's 3-D. The floor is made up of sturdy pink material and there are blue ladders leading up the different pink floors. Some of these ladders are broken and there are gaps here and there in the pink flooring. It seems there are six levels and a smaller platform above the top floor with two blue ladders leading "off-screen".

Suddenly Vikks clothing dissapear and is replaced by the Mario suit we had encountered in our earlier levels. Completely expecting to be suited up into a Luigi costume it's needless to say I'm surprised to be teleported onto the small platform at the top of the map, dressed in a pink poofy dress with a small golden tiara sitting on top my head. And to accompany this harsh thick ropes binding my arms together and leaving red marks in my skin. I'm princess fudging peach...

It's only then I see the huge brown ape to my side, buff with a red tie around its neck with the letters "DK". Behind him are many barrels. Knowing the classic character, Donkey kong, I watch as Vikk also examines him. Then in one fluid motion Donkey kong beats on his chests, hollering and proceeding to toss the barrels down the slopes as they speed towards Vikk. He's trying to squish him!

Vikk, eyeing the approaching barrels leaps over it and dashes towards the ladder as another barrel comes tumbling down. He hurdles it, scurrying up the ladder and onto the second floor. I watch helplessly as two more barrels tumble towards him and he has to cling to the floor above to stay above the barrels of death. The ladder beside him is broken so jumping over more barrels he runs to the opposite side of the floor and barley makes it up the next ladder before a barrel replaces him a mere second later.

And now, arriving on the third floor, there is a large gap in the middle. One wrong step and back down to floor two he goes. Sweating nervously I watch as Vikk shuffles towards the gap, jumping over barrels when needed. And then to my surprise as a barrel sails over the gap Vikk actually jumps on it, boosting himself across the gap and safely to the other side. With the swift dodge of another barrel, tossed by yours truly Donkey kong, Vikk finds his way to the fourth level.

"Two thirds of the way there now, Vikk! Keep it up!" I shout down to him, receiving a confident flash of teeth in return.

But that doesn't go for mister Donkey kong over here. He snarls in rage, doubling the speed at which he hurls the barrels down at Vikk. Vikk's eyes widen in surprise at the up sudden wave of barrels and he stumbles trying to dodge them, almost losing his one life. With great effort he manages to make it to the fifth floor but is not given a second to rest as more barrels speed towards him. Come on Vikk, one more level to go, you can do it! I silently cheer for him, not wanting to distract him from the task at hand.

The next floor also has a gap and with all the barrels being rolled towards him it's obvious Vikk is at a loss of what to do. He takes his eyes off the barrels for a moment to search my eyes for answers but I can provide none. Seeing the troubled expression in Vikk's face Donkey kong lets out a few noises of pleasure, determined not to let him reach me. But of course, Vikk finds a way to prevail. In the split second Donkey kong takes to celebrate there is a moment of space between the barrels, allowing Vikk to attempt the gap. He falls short by only an inch and I fear he may fall back onto the fourth floor where he will be crushed but no, Vikk hangs on with hidden strength, pulling himself back up before a barrel can ram into his head.

With that Vikk is facing Donkey kong and I. The single ladder leading to my platform is dangerously close to the ape however, so Vikk will have to be careful. Rage burning in the apes eyes, he grits his teeth, swiftly throwing barrels at Vikk with super strength. Vikk jumps over and ducks under the projectiles, ever so slowly inching towards me. And with a final lunge Vikk scurries up the ladder, ignoring the shrieking Donkey kong beside him. Within a flash the ropes are gone from my arms and we're headed up the ladders to freedom.

"Well that's wasn't too bad..." Vikk comments, glancing at me.
"Yeah I guess but I don't understand why I had to be the princess!" I huff, crossing my arms.

Vikk giggles, wandering over to the ninth button.

"Maybe it's cuz of the blond hair? But I dunno, you seem like princess quality to me..." Vikk calls over his shoulder.
"You can be real mean, ya know that Vikk?"
"Love ya too Lachy."

With a roll of the eyes I only grant him a small chuckle before we're headed into the portal for the second to last level.

~~~