Chapter 4

Warnings: None

     ~Vikk's P.O.V~

Pushing the small button, Lachlan and I step through the portal once again. I sure hope this one isn't like the last one... Oh dear, what if the levels get increasingly harder? We both almost died on the first level, and I don't want to know what it'll be like if the levels will get more difficu-

     "Level 2: Super Mario Bros, last level. Complete level to win" Lachlan reads, interrupting  my thoughts.

     Before I can even respond, we're in a grey corridor, with bubbling lava and monsters galore. I look down at my clothing to see I'm in a Mario suit. Lachlan on the other hand, is in Luigi's suit.

     "These overalls are mighty uncomfortable mate." Lachlan complains, picking at the straps.

     I chuckle, rolling my eyes and starting to move forward. We slowly creep down the grey brick stairs and eye the horrifying lava pit below with caution. I glance around but can only see one way forward... Jump.

     "Just like the nether... Ey Vikky?" Lachlan states, laughing nervously.
     "I agree... How about we jump on three?"
     "Alright..."
     "Three, two, one, JUMP!"

     We sail over the lava, clearing it by an extra few meters. But landing proves a bit painful, the shockwaves of the impact vibrating right through my spine. Wincing, I shake it off and follow after Lachlan who made an excellent landing... Surprisingly. Ahead of us, jutting from the green pipes are large plants, with big red heads instead of petals, complete with large white spots and a set of sharp gnashing teeth. And situated behind these plants, small little brown creatures with no arms and large heads. Big black eyebrows furrow together angrily on the small brown monsters as they march back and fourth through the hallway. The also have two small teeth sticking up from the corners of each sides of their mouths. I recognize them, goombas, a classic Mario enemy. I'd be grumpy too if I was stuck in a place like this...

     With an exchange of confident nods, we dash off towards the first plant, jumping and just barley clearing it as it snaps at us, trying to snag a piece of our clothing, as with the second plant

With an exchange of confident nods, we dash off towards the first plant, jumping and just barley clearing it as it snaps at us, trying to snag a piece of our clothing, as with the second plant. But as soon as we're out of the plants striking range, we're in the goombas territory. As they turn to face us, waddling furiously in our direction a single word comes to mind.