Chapter 6

Warnings: None

~Vikk's P.O.V~

Those six letters, six letters that might be our end. Taunting us, with an added note at the bottom of the sign.

"Level 6: Tetris, minecraft version. Complete the level to win. Note: More difficult than the last ones." Lachlan reads, horrified.

We simply stare blankly at the sign as the words process through our brains. But of course, we don't have much time to think it through seeing as now we are placed into a decent sized square room. The floor is made out of sand, although it's fairly solid and huge walls stretch up to past the clouds on all sides of us... Except there's no clouds. One of the walls is made out of glass.

"So what do you suppose were meant to do...?" I mumble glancing around the space.

     But before I can even turn around Lachlan is shoving me out of the way, instantly following suit by jumping backwards as a sand block falls in our place.

"MOVE!"

As more sand and gravel blocks start to fall, Lachlan and I start to jump across them, the floor already covered in blocks. Soon enough anvils start to fall as well, much faster than the sand and gravel. Already more than once either of us have almost been squished by a falling anvil.

     Jumping across a three block gap I struggle to match the pace as the blocks seem to be falling quicker and in greater numbers. We aren't even a quarter of the way up and still my legs seems to be wearing out. I jump onto a sand block to avoid an anvil then jump onto said anvil to escape a few gravel blocks that have fallen in my place. After jumping up a few sand blocks I almost ram into Lachlan, but manage to lunge to the right as he does the left, an anvil replacing our position. Sand, gravel, and anvils are all I can see. Well besides Lachlan of course.

"How much more do you reckon we have to scale?!" Lachlan says from the opposite side of the room, just barley ducking under a gravel block followed by an anvil.

Jumping a couple more blocks before coming to a stop I dare to glance up and check, "We're only about a quarter of the way up by now..." I say only loud enough that Lachlan can just manage to hear. Dazed for a moment, captured by the sight of all the falling blocks and anvils I fail to notice something about to crash right onto me.

"VIKK!" Lachlan shrieks, snapping me out of the daze.

I realize with a jolt an anvil is about to crush my skull and Lachlan is too far away to push me away this time. Diving to the side, I almost make it out. Key word almost. Just as I think I'm safe, I yell out as the anvil catches my knee sending me crashing forward into a sand block. Sand catches in my hair and clothes as it breaks, even getting in my eyes. I try to stand up and ignore the pain and manage to make it a few blocks up before crippling to the ground unable to bear the pain of my obviously broken knee.

Lachlan rushes past the falling blocks making a direct line to me. I don't even have time to question his motives before he's quickly evaluated my knee and scooped me up, placing on arm under my back for support and hooking one arm carefully under my burning knee.

      "Don't worry Vikky, I've got ya." Lachlan says through gritted teeth, struggling to keep my weight while jumping across blocks and swiftly shifting from side to side to avoid the deadly anvils.
      "But Lachlan..." I protest, "There's no way your gonna make it to the top without any injuries!"
      "None sense! We're already almost half wa- WOAH!"

     A block of sand cuts Lachlan off, forcing him to jump back and almost drop me. He whips around to dash the other way but an anvil blocks his path, knocking him back. Gravel falls on either side of us trapping us in as the hole becomes two blocks high on all sides of us. We both look up in horror to see a block of sand coming straight towards us. We are so dead. I think ducking my head and bracing for impact. But instead Lachlan's grip on me only tightens.

     "Hang on Vikk!"
    "What are do-"

    Before I can finish he jumps straight towards the block, smashing through it head first. The sand falls around us and Lachlan somehow manages to parkour his way out of the hole. Refusing to put me down, he dodges block after block block, and of course anvils too. It's no secret that's he's straining to keep me up, panting heavily and face bright red and sweating. And even though I'd rather be put down so he can jump without trouble... We both know I wouldn't make it and I guess Lachlan isn't willing to take that risk.

I decide perhaps I can prove to be a bit useful and say to him, "We're three quarters of the way up now! You can do it Lachlan."

As a response he simply nods, grunting as a gravel block skims his back. Actually more that once now, an anvil, sand block, or gravel block has come a centimetre from hitting him and a few actually have causing him to stumble every now and then. At this point the blocks are coming down like hail. You can barley scope out the top through the blanket of death.

After every single block jumped, I can tell Lachlan's getting more stressed and nearing his breaking point. More blocks are lightly nudging him and his movements become more frenzied. I actually decide to shut my eyes so I can't see the pain Lachlan's enduring because of my foolishness. We're almost there now, I pray that we can make it out alive. And suddenly... I'm being tossed.

My eyes fly open, arms spreading out to catch my fall as I skid across a flat surface. And I can already tell what happened. I clutch me knee which had come in hard contact with the ground upon landing and swirl around so I can see. Lachlan had thrown me over the edge of the top and is now almost joining me. But just as he's about a layer away, an anvil catches him off guard and he jumps back, tripping in a hole and falling into the only two block deep space left. That's when the final two blocks, one of gravel and the other of sand, come tumbling down upon his head.

"Lachlan!" I shout, desperately looking for a hand breaking through the surface... But there's none.

I scramble towards him, not even caring about my knee anymore as I claw away at the sand, hoping I can make it in time. After a few seconds I've scooped the sand away and with one final handful, Lachlan's head is freed from the tomb. He takes in a shaky breath, coughing up sand and almost in tears. I wait for his coughing fit to finish before I solemnly help dig out the rest of his body as he takes shallow and unsteady breaths. Finally he's uncovered enough that I can manage to drag his frail body from the hole. This was my fault, oh my gosh I feel so guilty...

After finally catching his breath he looks at me straight in the eye, fear still evident in his voice.

"Half a heart."

Then we're back at the portal.

~~~