Bonding

“Now you two lazy bones! Get up I tell you! Your not on vacation yet!” A bellowing voice came from the bottom of the stairs. Jim and I shot up from sleep as if someone pored cold water on our face. I looked at him and turned to get off the bed letting my feet touch the cold ground. “C’mon now, we’ve got some work for ya this morning.” Jim rolled out of bed and looked back to the stairs and Silver was gone. I stretched and Jim rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and walked up the stairs.

“Great.” I groaned “Another happy day of work.” I said standing out of the bed and walking up the stairs. When I reached the top I already saw Silver ordering Jim to swab the deck when I suddenly noticed that we had left a huge mess all over from our “water fight” the night before. Jim grabbed a mop and slugged to work. Silver marched up to me completely furious. “Christy!” He bellowed. He never calls me by my real name, that’s when I know that he’s angry. “Downstairs now. You’re peeling potatoes. And don’t even think about coming back up until you’re done or when I come get you. If you do, mark my words….”

“Silver!” A large bellowing voice called. We both turned to see Mr. Arrow standing with his arms behind his back. “A quick word please.” Silver turned back to me.

“I’ll come to check on you later.” He said still furious. We both spun around and walked away from each other. I looked over to Jim who was mumbling under his breath barley awake. I stomped down the stairs, “Well good morning Mr. Arrow!” I heard Silver say in a fake voice. I shook my head and sat down and picked up a potato and started to peel it. What could be wrong with Silver today? Just the other day he was smiles and joking around with us and the next day its like the devil took over.

I stayed crouched over a bowl pealing hundreds of potatoes when I heard the two distinctive steps of Silver. His steps crept down the stairs and behind me. He said nothing for a moment, as if he was waiting for me to notice. I turned when I heard him sigh.

“Hi Silver.” I said plainly. Then turned back to pealing potatoes. He walked around me and sat on top of a barrel with purps in them.

“Chris, can I talk to you.” He said shyly. I looked up to him.

“I don’t know why you can’t.” he looked at me and I put the knife down on the floor.

“Earlier this day, well.” he started uneasy. “The thing is.” He paused. Is he trying to apologize? I’ve never seen him so serious before.

“It’s okay Silver.” I said smiling knowing what he was getting at. He just looked right at me and smiled.

“Thanks Chris, you always know what to say to me.” he hopped down and walked up to me. Not knowing it I cracked a smile. “You can finish. Go rest. No more work for the day.” He said tenderly. My smile grew and without knowing it I threw my arms around Silver. He jumped not expecting it either.

“Thank you Silver.” I said hugging him tightly. “But I’m not the one you should be apologizing to.” I said releasing my grip. I looked at him and he had a smile on his face.

“I know that Chris. Thank you.” he said then patted my shoulder. My head dropped down and a smile crossed my face. He walked up the stairs and out of sight. As his steps faded I realized what I just did. I just hugged Long-John Silver. Well that’s something I wouldn’t have thought I would have ever done.

I smiled to myself knowing that I helped in one way or another and walked around all the potato peals to walk up the stairs. As I got to the top I saw Jim and Silver talking. Both with Smiles on their faces. I guess that’s what forgiveness looks like. I walked towards them just as Jim got a huge smile on his face nodded and they turned and walked away.