I'm Still Here!

Over the weeks he piled us with un-believable hard and stupid chorus. He made us scrap barnacles from under the boat while sitting around and yelling to us. “Put some elbow into it!” he would order. We would scrub all of the dishes till Silver could see his own face in them. We pealed hundreds potatoes without a single word to each other and mopped the deck thousands of times with a new mess to clean every day. One day Silver had me doing the days dishes and was teaching Jim about knots. Silver and Jim sat up on a tall mast as Silver took the rope in hand and started to explain how to tie a knot.

“See you take one end and bring it around here like this,” he said making a loop and wrapping the rope around it. “and pull it through, and, there you go.” he said pulling it through. “huh?” he said looking up at the missing Jim. He saw a rope draped over the edge with a perfect knot. He looked over and saw Jim walking on the edge of the boat. Just then I walked up from the galley and saw him walking. I ran up next to him and walked on the deck with him above me.

“Jim?” he looked down at me.

“Hey Christy. Did you get all done with the dishes then?” he looked back up to the sky.

“Yeah, just now.” I said stretching out.

“This late?” Jim asked surprised. “Well I’m not to excited to do the dishes tomorrow.” he joked. I smiled and dropped my hands to my side.

“So what have you and Silver been up to?” I asked changing the subject. We reached the tip of the boat and Jim sat down on the edge facing me.

“Well, he was teaching me how to tie knots.” I walked up next to him and leaned on the side.

“Sounds like fun.” I smiled. Jim looked at me and laughed.

“Yeah sure, if you think so.”  I smiled back knowing he meant it was really boring. We both sat there in silence staring off when Morph floated up to us and chirped happily.

“Hi-ya Morph.” I said putting out my hand letting him land on it. “So, Jim, where is Silver then?” he let out a long big breath,

“Probably up on the mast where we were still.” Surprised I looked up at him.

“You mean you just left?” I asked in un-belief. Without any hesitation he ran his hand through his hair and answered,

“Yeah, I learned the skill he was teaching me and used it to leave.” He seemed like it didn’t even bother him.

“Jim,” I said disapproving. “that’s not very nice.” he smirked annoyed. “Why do you care?” he said frustrated. “it doesn’t seem like it bothered him that much.”  he quietly said looked back where he walked. I buried my hands in my face and sighed.

“Have you ever thought that he’s just trying to help you? To help both of us?” I said, half trying to convince myself.

“Help us? By doing what?” Jim said now angry. I knew I said the wrong thing that set him off. “Ordering us to do hard chores for no reason at all? Its not like he really trusts us or any--”

“Shut up Jim!” I yelled. Now I was angry with Jim saying Silver wasn’t teaching us anything. Jim looked at me in shock. I sighed and thought for a moment. “Look,” I said quietly. “I know this may be hard for you to have a man like Silver around. But trust me, he cares and trusts us.” Jim looked away unconvinced. I placed my hand on his arm. “And he’s not going to leave us.” I said knowing that’s what he feared the most. Jim’s eyes widened and he stayed still for a moment before he cleared his throat replied.

“Funny way of showing it.” He said trying not to be seen defeated in a way.

“Just try not to make this more difficult then it is. Trust me, you’ll see that he does.” I said and turned back around walking away.