A Map!

We reached the house and went inside. Jim showed Delbert the ball we had found and he set it on his desk. Sarah slugged across the room to a chair by the fire. I followed her and sat on the ground next to her. Jim and Delbert both left the room, and when they came back Jim had a blanket that he draped over his mother and Delbert kneeled next to Sarah placing his hand on her leg.

“I just spoke with the constabulary.” he said quietly. “Those blaggard pirate have fled without a trace. I’m sorry Sarah.” he paused. “I’m afraid the old Benbow Inn has burned to the ground.” Sarah’s head dropped lower and she stayed quiet. I turned to look at Jim who was about to say something but stopped and turned around. Delbert cleared his throat and tried to change the subject. “Well, certainly a lot of trouble over that add little sphere.” Jim walked over to his desk and picked up the ball. I stood and walked over to him. “Those markings baffle me. Unlike anything I’ve ever encountered.” Delbert continued as Jim pushed some of the small dots all over the ball which sunk into it. Delbert continued talking to Sarah not paying attention to us. “Even with my vast experience and superior intellect it would take me years to unlock its--” And just then Jim spun the top part of the ball and unlocked it having a dark green grid pore out of it. “Hey!” Delbert said.

I laughed. “Woah! What did you do Jim?” I asked staring up at the light.

“Why, it’s a map!” Delbert said as the grid finished and planets, galaxies, and stars appeared.

“Wait, wait, wait, wait!” He continued taking his glasses off and cleaning them walking to a planet. “This is us! The planet Montressor.” he said putting his glasses and touching it. As soon as his finger touched it the planets started to fly past them and he began pointing at other objects naming them. “that’s the Magellanic Cloud! The Coral Galaxy! And that’s the Cygnus Cross and the Kerian Abyss.” When they all started to slow down and everything else disappeared except for one planet. “Wait. What’s this? What’s this? Why it’s--it’s.” he said as he stared up at the planet, Treasure Planet.

“Treasure Planet?” Jim said as if he was trying to convince himself.

“No!” Delbert said in disbelief.

“That’s Treasure Planet!” I stated again excited. Delbert excitedly stared at it.

“Flint’s trove? The loot of a thousand worlds? You know what this means!?” 

“It means, all that treasure is only a boat ride away.” Jim said smiling and tossing the ball.

“Whoever brings it back would hold an eternal place atop the pantheon of explorers!” Delbert said being very serious. “He’d be able to experience--whoo! What just happened?” he said as the map disappeared and the lights came back on.

“Mom this is it!” Jim said walking towards Sarah holding the ball. “This is the answer to all out problems!” he continued as he put the map into his jacket pocket. “Jim, there is absolutely no way--” Sarah started. “Don’t you remember, all those stories?” Jim protested. “That’s all they were--stories!” Sarah explained. Jim wasn’t about to give up, he walked closer continuously protesting. “With that treasure we could rebuild the Benbow a hundred times over!” he said eager. 

“Well, this is--it’s just--oh my, Delbert, would you please explain how ridiculous this is?” she stuttered out.

“It’s totally preposterous traversing the entire galaxy alone.” Delbert said seriously. “Now, at last we hear some sense!” Sarah said as Jim shook his head frustrated.

“That’s why I’m going with you!” Delbert cut in unexpectedly.

“Delbert!” Sarah protested to him. We watched as Delbert ran around the room filling his bag with object.  “I’ll use my savings to finance the expedition. I’ll commission a ship, hire a captain and a crew!” he said cheerfully.

“Your not serious.” Sarah said in disbelief. 

“All my life I’ve been waiting for an opportunity like this and here it is screaming! ‘Go Delbert, Go Delbert go--” he said dancing.

“Okay, okay! You’re both grounded!” Sarah yelled making Delbert stop dancing and look down.

“Mom, look, I know that I keep messing everything up,” Jim said trying not to look right in her eye. “and I know that I let you down. But this is my chance to make it up to you. I’m gonna set things right.” Jim said with a determined face. Sarah rubbed her neck looking at Jim carefully as I turned without anyone seeing and walked out the front door.

“Sarah?” Delbert said beckoning her over to him. “If I may? You said it yourself, ‘You’ve tried everything’ There are much worse remedies than a few character-building months in space.” he said trying to sway her.

“Are you saying this because it’s the right thing, or because you really want to go?” Sarah asked not convinced. Shocked Delbert answered. 

“I really, really, really, really, really want to go,” he said begging. Sarah looked down shaking her head. “And it’s the right thing.” he continued lifting her chin up. She turned back to Jim who was looking at her with big round puppy dog eyes.

“Jim.” she started combing his hair out of his face. “I don’t want to loose you.” Jim held her hand and smiled. 

“Mom, you won’t. I’ll make you proud.” staring her in the eyes. 

“Well, uh” Delbert said clearing his throat and clapping his hands together. “There we are then. We’ll begin preparations at once. Jim, my boy, soon we’ll be off to the spaceport!” he said pointing to the distant space port in the sky.

“Awesome!” Jim said smiling. “Hey, where did Christy go?” he said looking around the room.

“I would check outside.” Delbert said pointing to the front door. Jim smiled and started walking to the front door. He opened it to find me leaning on a railing staring up at the dark sky. 

“Christy?” Jim said behind me. I jumped and turned around. 

“huh? What? Oh, um hi Jim.” I said still surprised. 

“What are you doing out here all by yourself?” He asked as he walked up next to me joining me on the rail.

“Oh, just thinking.” I said turning around again and raising my head to the sky.

“About what?” Jim looked over to me. I looked at him and chuckled.

“Just girl stuff.” I answered turning around. “So do you get to go then? On the trip?” I asked.

“Yeah!” He replied excited. “Can you believe it?” he smiled widely.

“Wow, that’s…really cool Jim.” I said slowly looking down at my feet.

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked as her looked under trying to catch a look at my face.

“I’m fine!” I said pulling my head up smiling. “How about we get back inside with your Mom and Uncle Delbert.” I looked at him and started walking toward the front door.

“Yeah, sure.” He paused and grabbed my wrist. “Are you sure you’re okay?” I froze in his grasp and slowly turned around and placed my hand on his wrist and smiled to him. 

“Yes! I’m fine. Will you stop worrying?” and pulled his hand off my wrist. 

“Okay, I’m sorry.” he said smiling lightly. “I just don’t want you mad at me again.” I giggled and walked behind him.

“Impossible, come on lets go!” I said pushing on his back. We joined the others and talked and joked as Uncle Delbert started planning out the whole trip. It was only in a matter of days when Jim and Delbert were going to head to the space port and go on a trip that could take up to a year. The night before they left I was talking with Sarah about them leaving and how unexpected it was and I didn’t know what I was going to do. She gave me the advice that I was determined to follow through with.