When he brought his hand away from my stomach I started to come back to reality. I remembered that the absence of my daughter at home with us was why we were so vulnerable. We were usually so talkative, and touchy when we were sitting on the couch. Zayn would take every chance he got to give me a soft peck on the cheek. He would let me tell him stories of how my day went at work, and we’d talk about the baby as if she were coming in February like she was supposed to. Now we had to figure everything out earlier than we had planned. Of course we wouldn’t have our daughter at home with us for a while, but we still needed to manage everything so we could be with her as much as possible.

I had scheduled to have eight weeks off from work when Valentina came. I had to change that around though. Now I was only going to be taking four weeks off since I wasn’t fully healed from having a C-section, and I would be taking the other four weeks when we could finally bring Valentina home.

Zayn had a harder schedule to work around. He was going to be leaving in two days to do something in America. He wouldn’t get back until the day before Christmas Eve, so that meant I’d have to finish doing everything at home by myself, and spend as much time as I could at the hospital while he was off doing his own thing. I wanted to tell him that it wasn’t okay for him to leave, and surely he knew that. The whole One Direction thing unfortunately came first in a lot of cases. He tried to get his management team, or whoever makes these plans for them, to not make him go because he knew where he needed to be, and that was here with his family. They needed all five of them for some reason though. He promised me that he would come home as soon as they let him. It was still hard knowing that I’d be left alone. I had Valentina though, and I shouldn’t have been thinking about how lonely I was when she is left alone at the hospital. Where the nurses would only give her attention when they had to check her monitors or feed her. If she was with me I’d be holding her until Zayn told me to put her to sleep.

Zayn moved under me, causing me to break my train of thought. He pushed me up so I was sitting next to him. “Come with me.” Zayn commanded as he got off the couch, pulling me up next to him. He connected his hand with mine and led us out of the room, turning off the kitchen light before walking down the hallway to the stairs.

He helped me along as the pain where my cut was started to hurt more. The pain medication was good, but it unfortunately didn’t last forever.

Zayn stopped when we got to Valentina’s room. I shook my head signalling that I didn’t want to enter it. “Babe it’s fine. I’m right here. I have to show you something though.” He opened the door, and flicked on the light. He ushered me into the room, and that’s when I saw it.

As I looked around the room tears threatened to form in my eyes. “Why did you do this?”

I felt Zayn step up behind me, wrapping his arms around my body. “I felt bad about what happened the other day.”

I walked forward, Zayn in tow, to the white crib that was now set up along the wall. My hand ran over the painted wood. It looked so perfect in here with all of the pink decorations Zayn had insisted we got. The bedspread was the only thing that wasn’t pink though. I recognized it from pictures of me when I was a baby. The bright yellow bedding with white elephants printed on it seemed somewhat out of place, but it worked.

I let a tear fall from my eye, and turned and smiled at Zayn. “How did you get this?” I asked in a barely audible whisper.

Zayn kissed me gently, and rested his hands on my hips. “When I called your mom at the hospital she asked if she could bring anything down for us. I remembered the picture hanging in your parents house of you sitting in your crib smiling. It’s my favorite picture of you when you were a baby. I thought that it would be nice to pass it down. I know it’s old, but I knew you’d like it.”