13. Eating ice-cream

It took her one day to start questioning why she took the job.

Annabeth's dad helped her with money of course, but it wasn't enough for the New York high-school life.

So basically, she took the first job she could lay her hands on. Not her brightest idea, she admitted to herself. Turns out selling ice-cream to little kids in a busy mall for hours on end wasn't ideal for an ADHD demigod.

All the people made her feel cramped, and her head buzzed. Then she was shaken out of her thoughts when an old lady walked up to the counter with a little boy holding her hand. Annabeth straightened and tried to put on a smile.

"So," she said, "what will it be today?"

The woman looked at the boy beside her. "What flavor do you want, Kevin?"

Annabeth waited as patiently as she could manage. The boy didn't answer. She started drumming her fingers against the table top.

The old woman just chuckled. "He's a quiet one, this one."

Annabeth gave her a strained smile. "So."

"Yes, well." The lady gazed along the line of ice-cream tubs. "Let's go for strawberry."

Annabeth grabbed the scoop and a cone and reached towards the pink ice-cream. Just as she was about to touch it, she was stopped by the lady's voice.

"Actually, no. Pistachio." She laughed again. "There are so many flavors to choose from, aren't there?"

Annabeth tried to look pleasant,  but it was getting harder and harder. "Right. So, what'll it be?"

"Pistachio."

This time she hurried, so the woman wouldn't have time to change her mind. The little boy got his ice-cream cone, and as soon as they were gone, Annabeth leaned against the counter and sighed.

Then her co-worker Marcus walked out of the cool room. He chuckled to himself.

Annabeth turned her head at the sound. "What?"

"She was just trying to be friendly." Marcus grabbed an empty ice-cream bin and headed back towards the storage room.

Annabeth groaned. "I'm not in the mood for friendly. My shift is almost over, I just want to go home."

"Maybe I can help."

Annabeth turned towards the voice. When she saw who was walking through the flock of people, she smiled. There was one good thing about this job.

She climbed up onto the counter and hugged Percy. "How was your day?"

"Alright," he answered into her shirt.

The mall was close to Percy's school, and Annabeth loved the days he could come by after swim practice.

"And how was your day?"

Annabeth straightened up. "Ugh, tiring. Some people can be outrageously annoying. I mean seriously, your only task is to buy ice-cream How hard can it be?"

Percy chuckled. "You're way too fierce for these mortals."

He leaned in closer to Annabeth. "I bet we can make this day better though," he said in a Deep voice.

Annabeth raised her eyebrows. "Are we going to your place?"

"Mom's out," he mumbled.

"Is that so?"

"Uh-huh." His face was so close now, barely an inch. She could feel his breath on her lips. Then he closed that final gap and kissed her.

It felt so good, she leaned against his body. She could stay like this forever. His hands snaked around her waist and held her tighter, util he was standing in between her legs where she was sitting on the counter. She couldn't help it, she felt the rush, the urge, ripple through her body.

Percy pulled away just a little bit. "We should probably get going, or you won't be able to help yourself."

Annabeth just smirked and pulled her lips to his again. Somethimes, she just didn't care who saw. I was that darn Percy's fault.

"You're scaring off the customers," said Marcus's voice behind them. They pulled apart, and Annabeth jumped down off the counter.

"It's alright," Marcus continued, "you can leave."

Annabeth turned and smiled at Percy. "As soon as we've had some ice-cream."

A/N

Well look at that. I did it!

The next one should be up sometime soon.

Also I really want to thank the people who are commenting and appreciating what I write, and sticking by me and my story all this time. I love you so much.