The night birds are chirping

Song: tili tili Bon - a Russian lullaby

Left alone to his thoughts Kaleb tried to remember a time when he was ever mean to Amber, anything that would make her hate him.

He couldn't come up with a reason as to why Amber had changed maybe it was when she moved away that something had happened. Kaleb remembered the day well.

It was a cold Autumn day, Kaleb and his best friend at the time, Amber were to meet at the park as they usually did.

It had been almost 10 years since the day that he and Amber had met at the park making him 15 years old and her 14 years old.

Over the years Kaleb and Amber had become close, to Kaleb she was like a younger sister.

The park had become their spot and when ever something was wrong they would always meet up at the tree where they had first met.

But unlike all their other meetings at the tree, this time was different, something about the atmosphere was off and Kaleb was worried.

After five minutes of Kaleb waiting he finally saw Amber making her way across the dying grass, her feet dragged along the ground with each step almost like a person walking to their doom.

"Hey." He said when she was next to him. She nodded her head in greeting and stared forward before joining him and sitting at the base of the tree.

"Hey Kaleb I have to tell you something." She told him.

He turned to her and looked into her light brown eyes. Her eyes were full of emotions but the most prominent were the sadness and a darkness that he couldn't quite place.

"Kaleb, I'm moving away." She said causing his blue eyes to widen in shock.

She couldn't leave she was his best friend.

"But, you can stay with me and my family my mom won't care she loves you." Kaleb said to her trying to find a way for her to stay with him.

Amber shook her head as tears started to fall from her eyes and then she stood up and with one last fleeting look she left without a word.

--

Something bad must have happened while she was gone to have her be so malicious now.

The door to his personal jail opened and in walked Amber. She had been coming and going through the room for how ever long he had been in here for.

Kaleb was yet to see her fully he would see her silhouette and sometimes got glimpses of her pale skin.

"Hello Kaleb guess what? I have brought you a companion to talk to but if you do something to upset me, she taken from you." Amber sang out to him.

She had a person held by their hair at the side of her.

Throwing the person forward she turned and exited the room.

Kaleb made a move to see if the person was OK but the ropes were holding his hands back.

The person started to move and lightly moaned in pain.

"Where am I?" A familiar voice spoke out loud.

"Selena?" Kaleb asked.

The person's head snapped up and looked towards him.

"Kaleb is that you? I'm so glad that you're here I was so scared I still am." Selena said while crawling to him.

"Yeah it's me, are you OK?" He asked as she finally reached him and hugged him.

"Yeah it was nothing I couldn't handle. Kaleb I want to leave." She answered back to him.

....................

Selena was scared she had no idea what they wanted with them she just wanted to leave and forget about everything that had happened to her.

Something was telling her that, that wasn't possible though. She felt comfort through Kaleb and continued hugging him.

"Selena." Kaleb whispered to her. "Do you think you could untie the ropes around my hands?" He asked her. Selena reached towards his hand and tried to untie the ropes but they were too tight.

"Kaleb they're too tight." she told him. He nodded his head solemnly and then they just sat there in silence.

.....................

Meanwhile in the house's study a distraught Amber was torn between letting her old friend go and carrying out her plans.

She used her strange powers to look into the cell and saw the female curled up against her Kaleb. Amber's blood boiled and she felt objects in the room start to shake and glass shatter.

"Amber calm down." The voice of her old yet wise mentor told her. "In time, if you follow through with the plan he will be yours."

The thought of her and Kaleb brought a smile to her face she would have him and the worthless female next to him would die painfully.