xxii: return

By the end of the Christmas break, Olivia had sunk into a deep depression. Since her fathers funeral, she had not uttered a single word to anyone. She had ignored the worried letters from her friends, and the timid knocks at her bedroom door. She avoided looking in the mirror on the rare occasion that she bathed. Her hair was matted, her skin was pale, her eyes were bloodshot. Every day was a bleak cycle of nothing, but she did not have the strength, the energy to improve it.

Unfortunately, she did not have a choice. School had resumed, and her mother was less than sympathetic. She stood at the platform, biting the dead skin around her chipped, long fingernails as she waited for the train. She looked like a ghost, a shell of the person she once was. She could feel passing eyes upon her, but she did not have the energy to care. Her fathers passing was no secret, everyone knew that he was just another victim of the rising dark forces.

Olivia boarded the train with only the same bag she had taken to her parents house. After a moment of searching, she finally found the carriage that her friends were sitting in. She had a knot in her stomach as she slid the door open, fearful of what each of them may say. But, no one said a thing to her. Instead, they all shot her sympathetic looks. Olivia couldn't tell if she was grateful or disappointed at this.

After almost an hour of uncomfortable silence in the compartment, Paxton shifted in his place.

"You alright?" He asked her simply.

Olivia looked up for her lap at him. It was such a simple, stupid question, but her answer was so confusing and complex. She would have surely ended up spiralling if Cordelia had not butted in before Olivia had the chance to answer. She looked up him up and down, a scowl upon her face.

"Are you thick?" She spat at him, and Paxton frowned.

"What?! It was a nice question." He defended himself.

"How do you think she's doing?!" Cordelia spat back at him.

"Seriously, Paxton. Read the room." Kian piped up from beside Olivia.

"Well, excuse me for being so considerate."Paxton replied, his voice growing louder as he became noticeably more agitated."In case it slipped your notice, not one of you have spoken to her since we've seen her."

"Saying nothing is better than asking stupid questions." Cordelia yelled back at him. "Idiot."

Paxton stood to his feet, his face red. "Whatever. Fuck you guys."

He exited the compartment, slamming the sliding door behind him. Olivia looked down at her lap once more, trying her hardest not to let the tears spill from her eyes. She could feel her friends eyes upon her, but she ignored them.

No one said anything more for the remainder of the journey to Hogwarts. Paxton did not return to the compartment, which Olivia was secretly grateful for. As soon as the train arrived at Hogsmeade Station, she wasted no time in leaving the train. She was one of the first ones on the platform, and she made a beeline for the carriages. She thought she had escaped her friends, until she heard footsteps approaching from behind her.

"Delvano!"

His voice made her heart dropped to her stomach, and her eyes rolled. She continued to walk into the forest to the carriages, as he continued to call out to her.

"Delvano."

"Please Black. I am not in the mood." She called back to him.

She approached the side of one of the carriages, and hoisted herself up. Unfortunately, he had the same idea. As he took the seat opposite her, she frowned with furious anger. "What are you doing? Leave me alone!"