v : of flubberworms and futures

"It's the second day and I'm already over it". Olivia grumbled with a sigh as she sat down at the Great Hall for breakfast. Due to lack of sleep, she had bags under her eyes.

"Quidditch tryouts are coming up soon. Are you going to try out?" Cordelia asked curiously. Olivia shook her head while frowning.

"Absolutely not. I have to focus on my school work otherwise my parents won't be happy". She explained while she buttered a piece of toast. Cordelia sighed in defeat and took a sip of pumpkin juice.

They were sat at the edge of the table, and just as Olivia looked up, she saw both Snape and Regulus walk past in the direction of their own table. Remembering back to the night before, she hastily looked in the opposite direction before she accidentally made eye contact.

"God, Snape is so weird.And that Black is such a creep, don't you agree?" Olivia said. Cordelia shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know. I've never really thought about either of them." Cordelia shut her down. Olivia was still plagued from the conversation she had overheard the night before, and she simply could not forget about it.

"What do we have today?" Marie asked. Olivia was thankful for the change of topic.

"Care of Magical Creatures first, then Herbology. After lunch is Transfiguration and then Divination. Not too bad". Olivia said while she finished the last of her toast. "We'd better get going. Professor Dubbean will kill us if we're late". She said to Cordelia.

Care of Magical Creatures had been Olivia favourite subject for years. Even before she had attended Hogwarts, she had always had a fascination with any creature, whether they were magical or not. As she walked down to the edge of the Forbidden Forest, where her class was held, she daydreamed, which she so often did. Cordelia walked in silence with her, daydreaming herself. They finally reached where Professor Dubbean was standing with a large group of students.

"Gather round students. Today we will be examining Flobberworms". Numerous groans came from students, Olivia included.
"Can anyone tell me something about Flobberworms?"

Olivias hand shot straight up into the air. Dubbean smiled happily."Yes Olivia?"

"Honestly, there isn't much to say. Flobberworms are brown worms that live in damp ditches. They tend to move very little and are considered one of the most boring creatures in the wizarding world". Olivia finished and Dubbean chuckled lightly.

"Couldn't have said it better myself, my dear. 10 points to Ravenclaw". Olivia smiled proudly before she felt a soft nudge from beside her from Cordelia.

"Now, I want you all to dig in the moist soil just behind me. If we can do that with no problems, next lesson we will be taking a look at unicorns". Many of the girls squealed loudly and jumped up and down. Olivia suppressed a snort. "You may work in pairs or groups of three, nothing more. Once you find four, bring them up and put them into a pot with soil. Off you go".

The students all walked over to where a large rusty bucket of hand shovels were. Without any worries, Olivia picked a random one and headed toward the dirt patch. After choosing a good place, she sat down and began to shovel dirt in search of big, fat, brown worms.

"Do you want to work together?" She heard a voice from behind her. She turned around, and saw Regulus standing up behind her. She turned back round.

"Well I don't know. My friend, Cordelia is usually my partner for this stuff." Olivia said. She went to turn about around to see Black, but he was already gone. Good riddance, Olivia thought to herself.

Cordelia came over and sat down in a huff. "God, I hate this shit."

"I know. but don't just sit there. The sooner we get this done, the better". Olivia said, before picking up another shovel from beside her and handing it to Cordelia.

"If I knew we would be doing Flobberworms, I wouldn't have chosen this stupid subject." Cordelia groaned as she looked at a long worm she picked up from beneath the soil.

"You should clear you minds. That way, your future will be as clear as day" Professor Strangesock, the Divination teacher, explained to us. She had ginger dreads and had a smell that even hippogriffs would find revolting.

It was in the last lesson of the day and due to her lack of sleep and Strangesocks boring voice, Olivia was struggling to stay awake. The scented candles scattered around the room where no help at all.

She came to a stop in front of Olivia and Maries table. The only good thing about being in this class was that Olivias whole group of friends were there with her.

"Miss Lundia, you have made a terrible mistake. I'm afraid you will come to regret this decision. Dear girl, I pity you." Strangesock said with a hand up to her mouth. Marie stared at her blankly

Professor Strangesock turned to Olivia. "Oh my dear, your mind is clouded but your future is clear. Tolerance is your best friend, do not ignore it. Things that seem complicated can be more simple than you think".

Olivia felt every pair of eyes in the room on her, and quite frankly, and she felt her face burn red with embarrassment, and she sifted uncomfortably in her seat. Luckily, the school bell rang, indicating lessons were over for the day.

Without a moments hesitation, Olivia packed up her things and left the room, her friends following behind.

"What do you guys think she meant?" Olivia asked both Marie and Cordelia as they made their way back to Ravenclaw tower.

"I know what she meant. I have made a terrible mistake - I ate way too much yogurt and drank too much milk. And she is right- I am seriously starting to regret it." Marie said.

"What do you think mine meant?" Olivia asked her friends.

"Fucking nothing." Cordelia said. "Seriously Liv, I wouldn't dwell on it. I don't know how that woman still had a job."

But still, it was another thing that plagued Olivias mind, and much like the conversation she overheard, she had no idea what it meant.