xv : loving them

It was early, the sun had barely risen. Olivias toes as were as ice due to the bittersweet winter weather. Marie was snoring so loudly that it woke her up. She had drool dribbling down her chin but seemed unfazed about how loud she was actually snoring.

It was the last day for the term. The day before her friends went home for Christmas. As she got dressed for the last day of class, she promised herself that she would make today as amazing as possible.

Two hours later, they were in History Of Magic and Professor Binns was going on and on about something irrelevant. The majority of the class had taken up their own private conversations, while Professor Binns droned on without looking up from his book. Olivia's friends were no different.

"Did you hear that Ruben Walsh and Celine Recon were caught shagging". Kian asked the group while he was braiding Olivias hair. "Caught by the Bloody Baron in an old classroom".

"That must've been so awkward". Cordelia said, doing little spells with her wand.

"I heard from Paxton that Fiona Jollis gave Fergus Iron head in the owlery". Quentin said as they all put on a disgusted expression.

"Romantic". Olivia said sarcastically, before she gasped in horror. "Aren't they only in third year? Oh, that's just wrong".

"I know right". Kian said, still working on her hair. "I can't believe I have to spend Christmas at home. With not only my parents but also my extended family, that's like 50 people!". Kian ranted to them.

"No way". Cordelia said, not even listening to listening to Kian. Her attention was given to the latest Daily Prophet paper that she had received at breakfast. Kian, noticing that no one else was really listening to him, began ranting again.

"I can't believe this. I'm leaving in less than 24 hours and all you lot can do is ignore me. I'll be sure to never ask you-". Kian was interrupted by Cordelia.

"Oh, shut up! Listen to this". Cordelia said, getting their attention. "Early yesterday morning, two wizards and a child were found dead in their home. 28-year-old Michael Allen was found dead along with his wife, 26-year-old Olga Allen. Their son, 4-year-old Jax Allen was also found dead with his parents.

All 3 members of the Allen family lost their life to the Killing Curse, and most likely the work of one or more dark wizards. Fellow wizard neighbours say that they heard shouting from the house but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Similar incidents around the country have been happening since early this year and have been linked back to the work of Death Eaters, followers of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named".

They all sat still, not knowing what to say. Olivia, who often had something to say, said nothing. She looked down at the floor instead. It was a few minutes before Quentin spoke up. "I cant believe it. How could they just murder a kid and his parents?"

"Because these people are cruel". Cordelia said, flipping through different pages. "This isn't the only case. There's at least half a dozen different cases in this paper alone, look. 'Teenager dies', 'Mother and young child dead', 'Young man killed'. This is too much!"

"Its going to keep happening, Delia". Quentin informed her, rubbing her back. "This type of thing doesn't go away, as much as we wish it would. It's only going to get worse".

"Aw Quentin". Paxton cooed, putting his hand near his heart. "That was so inspirational and motivating". He said sarcastically while rolling his eyes.

"Shut up, Paxton. You're a bloody git" Olivia snapped at him.

"Maybe. But what? You all know it's true. It's not going to stop any time soon." Paxton remarked. The rest of the gang said nothing more, because deep down, they knew it was true, and it was a truth no one wanted to accept.

--------------------------------------------------------

"I love Christmas time. It so beautiful". Olivia gushed, gazing around at the Great Hall. A few giant trees were placed around the hall, only half decorated. A few random pieces of holly were placed around on the tables to make the end-of-term feast with all of the students.

"Almost as beautiful as your hair!" Kian gushed again, obviously still proud of his work on Olivia's hair from the morning.

"You're lucky that you get to stay here for Christmas". Maire sulked, shoving a spoonful of pasta into her mouth. "I have to go home and spend Christmas with parents.".

"Oh no, that sounds awful". Olivia replied sarcastically as she ate her noodles. Marie shot her a glare, before continuing to eat.

"So do you know anyone else staying back for Christmas?" Quentin asked.

"Not really..." Olivia trailed off.

"Won't you be lonely though?" He asked again.

"Maybe, but I'll probably just make friends with the little kids" She replied. "Why? Do you guys know anyone else staying back?"

"Arnie Vinnick is staying." Marie replied.

Olivia stared at her blankly. "Who?"

"Nevermind then. Oh! Lucy Ackly and Penelope Moore are staying too!" Marie said.

"Marie, I don't know who these people are." Olivia replied to her.

"Damn, your loss." She replied.

"Oh, Black is staying back." Kian said. Olivia frowned.

"Who? Sirius?" Olivia inquired.

"No. Well, yes. Him and Potter, and the other two are. But I was talking about Regulus." Kian replied, slurping his soup.

Olivia stared at him blankly. "No he isn't." She said. "He was going home, like all of his friends."

"He told me just the other day that he was staying." Kian said. "So, I don't know what's going on there..."

Olivia sat in silence. She was hoping that Kian was pulling her leg, just trying to get a rise out of her. But he said nothing more on the matter, and so she feared the worst.