Chapter 18

Dash released her in a slow slide that had all of her rubbing against all of him. An action that served to punish him, as the raw desire he felt for her surged a new, as well as to keep her off balance when her weight fell onto her feet, so that she was forced to lean against him still.

Dash strategically moved her slight in front of him as he turned to face her brother.

Nial met his gaze challengingly. It was clear he would be no easy obstacle to overcome but that didn't affect his confident grin in the slightest. He knew well enough he would win in the end. As it were, his prize was already basking in his arms.

Dropping his gaze momentarily to turn down the smug grin he couldn't quite hide at the ruffled look Nina now wore, Dash raised clear blues back to meet with the deep greens of Nial Aurora.

Offering his free hand in a friendly gesture, Dash raised a brow as Nial took his time to assess the situation first before matching his grip to his in an overly firm shake.

Dash's grin widened in appreciation at the blatant warning in that grip. He loved nothing more than to indulge in challenges. Overcoming obstacles was what tweaked his interest and Nial Aurora's challenge was clear in his grip. Just as Dash's acceptance of that challenge was clear in his widened grin.

"Nina," cried out Nancy, as she hurried over. Hearing her name called in that voice had her scurrying to stand apart from Dash. And as the heat of his presence faded, the anger at his temerity surged back. The man was clearly shameless. It was apparent he had not the slightest remorse for his actions the night before... or for any of the other past transgressions either. Not that those had the same sexual overtone. Infact, beyond that poor excuse for a kiss he entrusted on her seven years ago, there had been little in the way of sensuality between them.

Sure she had heated up like an oven on timer as soon as he stepped into her sight. The very proximity had at some point sent her heart thundering through her chest with not a little arousal. But through careful management of the issue Nina had managed to forbe it off as anxiety. The palpitations that followed closely only led credence to her intentional self-delusions.

And it had worked.

She had lasted seven years unscathed. A record that tumbled to a crash last night.

Frowning mightily up at Dash Arlington, Nina responded to her sister's concern.

"Yes darling, I am fine. A minor stumble like that hardly mattered. Not when there are gentlemen aplenty about ready to do the needful and pluck me right out of the sky."

The sardonic undertone to her words was not lost on its intended recipient. Nancy however smiled her relief and Nina was proud to note she looked positively dazzling when she did.

"I believe introduction are in order," murmured Dash intrusively.

Nina fixed her dark scowl back on him before looking resolutely away.

But Nancy mindful of her position as hostess, took it upon her to clear that oversight. And so they were introduced.

"Dash Arlington, my sister Nina Aurora. Nina, meet Mr Arlington."

Nina's reaction was immediate. Her hand lifted automatically for the traditional handshake even as her temper threatened to pop the lid off  the pressure cooker. As it were she blew off steam the only way she could in a guise to further fluff her already tousled hair.

"Call me Dash," cut in Dash, smoothly and ignoring the fury still riding her cheeks as he bent over to kiss her hand instead.

Nina bit back a muffled oath at his nerve. An introduction to the man she had known for as long as she'd known the Aurora's. The man she had wrestled with once, spat with, tossed rocks with and danced with.  The man who had accosted her person with his unwanted attentions while she was out of it.

Nina tightened her fist then flexed it. The action repeated itself a few times as Nancy took over the conversation, channeling it effectively to less heated paths.

"Enjoying yourself my dear?"

Mrs Thompson as swift to intervene and gush over Dash Arlington.

Jeff Lloyd Thompsons was not her only child. Francisca Thompsons also had a daughter. An extremely eligible, unwed and available daughter, who not only knew how to dress to impress but could also charm the venom out of a rattle snake.

It was clear as she expertly took over the conversation and then on to suggest she showed Dash around, that the number she intended to introduce him to was singular and more importantly, already making her way over. The crowd parted on the goddess's advance but she was no nearer then two steps closer to her target when Dash took back control of the conversation and situation. In one fell sentence, he managed to do overcome both.

"Nina, I believe you owe me this dance. As your savior, your life is I believe forfeit to me. Mine to do with as I please. And for the present, it pleases me to dance with you."

His choice of words were poignantly familiar but no less shocking then when she'd last heard it.

But it was those surrounding them that were shocked the most. Nancy's mouth fell agape.  Her mother in law to be raised a hand to her skinny chest in the age old expression of shocked surprise but Nial merely narrowed his gaze and tightened his own hand into fists.

It was clear they all were with Nina on this. Nina opened her mouth to offer her refusal so she was doubly surprised to find herself in his arms, indecently plastered against him and then twirling about the dance floor to the steps and music, she remembered from a time long past.