Twelfth Grade

I'm sitting alone on the couch, watching a season four episode of Doctor Who on Netflix when my phone rings.  I sigh and look at it, on the other side of the couch, not wanting to put forth the effort required to grab it.

Today is my first lazy day in forever, and I don't even feel like moving.  It's Saturday after a long week at school.  Both of my parents are at work today, so I don't have to worry about them yelling at me to get off my butt and yadda yadda yadda.

I've been sitting around in my boxers, watching whatever I could find and stuffing myself with junk food.  I look at my cell phone again.  I figure that answering it is the least I could do, considering the fact that I've been completely useful all day.

I roll over, my blanket cocoon almost suffocating me, and snatch my phone off the arm of the couch.  I look at the screen and answer it immediately.

"Hello?" I say, expecting the fimilar, clear, beautiful voice to respond.

"Austin?" Clary says.

Immediately I know that something's wrong.  Clary's one word is filled with so much sadness that it's overwhelming.  I can tell by the stuffy softness of her voice that she's been crying.

And Clary never cries.

"Clary,what's wrong?" I say.

Clary exhales shakily.  "Dylan broke up with me."

Right away, I feel like tracking Dylan down and punching his face in.  I've been feeling this way for a while. 

Lately, he has been being such a jerk towards Clary.  I don't understand.  She's never been anything but loving towards him.

"That jerk," I say. 

How could someone be so stupid?  He had want I've wanted for so long, and he just threw it away like Clary's love doesn't matter.  There can't possibly be another girl as beautiful and amazing as Clary. 

I've already learned one thing today:  Dylan Cyrus doesn't make good decisions.

"Are you alright?" I ask, concerned.

Clary sniffles.  "No."  She exhales again.  "He left me for another girl.  Turns out they've actually been dating for. . .a while.  He was just finishing it with me."

Oh, my God.  How could he do that to her?  What could a girl have that would make someone want to break someone like Clary's heart?  I start to get mad.

"Clary, if there's one thing that I can say, it's that he made a huge mistake."

The sad laugh that comes through the speaker sounds more like a cough.

"Thanks," she says sadly.  "But I still can't help feeling like. . .like I'm not good enough.  Like there's something wrong with me."

"Clary," I say as soon as she finishes her sentence.  "Do not think that.  Ever.  There is nothing wrong with you.  Dylan had it absolutely perfect.  He has to be the biggest idiot in history for throwing everything you gave him away.  You don't know how many people would have loved to be in his shoes."  At least one, that I know right off.

I sigh.  "So he broke up with you.  That's one less amazing, beautiful girlfriend for him, and one less stupid, backstabbing, liar of a boyfriend that I promise will be replaced by someone who really cares about you and will treat you the way you deserve to be treated."

Clary doesn't say anything for a minute.

"What TV show did steal that line from?" she says.  I smile.  The small joke is a sign that I'm making her feel better.  I give myself an imaginary pat on the back.