Chapter Eight: Shattered Baubles.

It was just sat in front of me. Staring me right in the face. About five times, I'd reached for it then decided against it. Open was a contact profile. 'Jason<3' I stared at it a few minutes longer. My hand whipped out quickly and pressed the green phone icon, before internally cringing, and I then put the phone up to my ear.

"Hey..." I said nervously.

"Oh, hi Cress."

"Uhm, can I talk to you tomorrow, after school?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"Uhm sorry, I have homework."

I hung up quickly and slammed the phone back on my bed. It was true, my homework had been piling up over the last few weeks, but it was still a lame excuse. I pressed the green icon once more.

"I'm a little stressed right now so can we talk about this once I've calmed down? Not tomorrow, just when I've sorted my brain out." I pleaded into the speaker.

"Sure thing. Anything for you." This made me scrunch my face up.

"Okay thanks. Got lots of homework so don't call me, sorry." And I hung up again.

In exactly a week's time it would be December 10th, and I was dreading it utterly.

"What do you mean Bora-Bora?!" I yelled at my nervous looking mum.

"Well, we decided we wanted a Christmas to ourselves." She shrugged.

"Mum, do you know how fucking bitchy and selfish that is?!" I Screamed, not caring if I offended her. "I'm an only child for the moment unless Flo decides to come back from America, so yeah, I'm an only child." I snapped.

"Cresseida sweetie, it can't be that bad, spend it with friends! Ask Brooke or Aria if you can stay with them over Christmas." She suggested, trying to keep calm. She'd prepared for a freak-out.

"No mum it doesn't work like that! They'll be spending christmas with their families, they won't want me bombarding in and intruding." I shouted. Mum sighed.

"I'm sure you'll find somewhere." She pointed out.

"That's not even the point?! The point is that leave me any time of the year, my birthday, I don't give a shit but you don't leave me on Christmas." I croaked, my voice straining from all the yelling.

"But sweetie w-"

"And what if I dont find anywhere to go? What happens then hmm? I spend christmas by myself. Thanks a bunch my so called 'parents'." I interrupted, then sprinted up to my room, and cried.

I was being a complete child about this, I know, but Christmas was the best time of year and I loved everything about it. Before I could even do any homework, I had fallen asleep.

I was late for school. AGAIN. I quickly ran into my Art class, spotting Jai and sitting next to him. Our topic at the moment was 'perspectives', and we were working on a project where we had to do five different perspectives of the same thing. So of course, me being me, I decided to do love. I'm such a dick.

At lunch, I really didn't want to sit with Jason, it would be too awkward. I caught up with Jai in the hallway.

"Jai!" I shouted, causing him to turn around. He'd clearly just had Gym, as he was sweating with his hair plastered to his forehead, and his shirt was swung over his shoulder, revealing his six pack. It was truly difficult to keep my eyes off his stomach.

"Like the view?" He joked. It wasn't as if I hadn't seen their muscles before, it was just nice to look at. I snapped my eyes from his chest to his eyes.

"Can I sit with you at lunch?" I asked. He nodded, and put his sweaty arm around my shoulder.

"Ew use some deodorant." I remarked. He laughed and we carried on to the canteen. By now, I'd suggested quite a few times for him to put his shirt back on, but he refused because he was 'too hot' really, I think he just wanted to show off his muscles. Although everyone knew we were just friends, I made sure he removed his arm from my shoulder, knowing what people in this school were like. Understandably, everyone's head turned to us as we walked into the room, all eyes on Jai. Looking over to the table the boys usually sat at, I saw Luke and James give Jai judging looks. We approached the table and I sat next to James, whilst Jai sat with Luke.

"Dude where's your shirt?" Laughed James. Jai pointed to his shoulder as he had a mouthful of Luke's pizza in his gob.

"Excuse me but could you please wear a shirt in the canteen?" Asked the dinner lady who had just approached our table.

"Why?" Argued Jai.

"Because those are the rules." She said, crossing her arms across her chest. Jai pulled the shirt off his shoulder and over his head.

"Fucking boiling." We heard him mutter after the dinner lady had left. Various girls around the room made 'ow' noises, but our table burst out laughing. I learned that day that a bad day could quickly change directions, now I just had to find somewhere to stay.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Songs I listened to whilst writing this:

National Anthem - Lana Del Rey

You Lost Me - Christina Aguilera

Three Cheers For Five Years - Mayday Parade

Blue Jeans - Lana Del Rey