twenty three

when tyler managed to drag himself to the clearing, his footsteps were heavy and left indents in the snow. josh was waiting for him, and his shadow was dark against the snow.

"merry christmas," tyler called out. his voice sounded strong, and it echoed around the trees.

josh grinned and hugged him. "merry christmas," he said and tyler thought his words tasted like mint. "i got you something."

tyler's mouth fell open. "what? you didn't - you didn't have to do that, i didn't get you - "

josh smiled, and his cheeks were pink. tyler's scarf all of the sudden felt too tight. "i didn't think you would. it's okay. here, just open it."

tyler took the envelope that josh held out to him hesitantly. josh's hand was cold, and all of his veins stood out against his pale skin.

with a smile, he opened it. josh's handwriting was looped, all capitals and small letters. it was josh in the same way that bright colors and bruises were.

dear tyler,

this isn't your present. your real present is being sent to your house eventually. i asked your mom if it was okay, and she got really excited. so i got it ordered to your house, and it'll come the day after christmas or something.

thank you for everything you've done for me. merry christmas.

love,

josh

tyler wrapped his arms around josh and they were warm, body heat glowing in the dead of winter. "thank you," he whispered, and the small drawing of a piano was woven through the two words.