nine

"i wish i was homeschooled," josh murmured. he had come to the clearing straight from school, his backpack still slung over one shoulder. "i hate school."

"why?"

"the people," josh told him, sitting down. he swung his backpack in front of him, where tyler could see what he was doing. he took out a paper bag, with a sandwich and a bag of chips. "i couldn't eat lunch today."

"oh," tyler said. his stomach flipped.

josh looked at him, confusion in his eyes. somehow, he could hear everything that tyler wasn't saying in those two letters. "you okay?"

tyler nodded. he watched the clouds, and wondered when the last full meal he had was. he thought about the last time he had bent over a toilet and stuck his fingers down his throat. the bathroom tiles were always so cold. everything he hated about himself crawled over his skin, and he shivered.

"did you eat?" josh asked quietly.

"of course," tyler said too quickly.

josh offered him the bag of chips. "you look like you're about to throw up."

tyler wrapped an arm around his knees. "i'm okay."

josh put the chips and his sandwich back in the bag. there was a beat of silence, and tyler's lung were filled with joshisleavingyoumesseduphowcouldyoujoshisleavingyou'redisgusting -

only now josh was mirroring tyler's position; two arms around his knees, watching the clouds. "that one looks like a cat," he said.