Percabeth...

I, Annabeth Chase, laid in my comfortable bed in the Athena cabin at Camp Half Blood. For once, I wished that I could get some sleep. Some nights, I felt as if I would never settle down and rest, but tonight, I was actually tired for once. There was a racket outside, but I couldn't hear it clearly due to the fact that I had my headphones jammed in my ears to block it out.

"Hey, some people are trying to get some rest here! Cut the noise!" I shouted outside, pulling my pillow above my head. I turned up 3 Doors Down and tried to sink into my soft mattress.

I almost succeeded in drifting off to sleep before I heard screaming from outside. I sat bolt upright in bed and threw my covers away to the floor, grabbing my invisibility cap as I ran outside.

Everyone I knew was gathered around Thalia's old tree, where the Golden Fleece hung. They all stood inside the protection of the camp, although the real noise of a battle was coming from outside the perimeter. I ran to the edge of the camp and looked outside the gate, only to see the most terrifying sight I had ever witnessed. Travis and Connor Stoll were huddled behind Thalia's tree, shaking violently as they watched Percy fighting a manticore. From the looks of it, Percy wasn't holding up all that well at the moment.

"What's happened?" I screamed, holding my cap at the ready for if I needed to fight.

"Connor and Travis were messing with the Golden Fleece, and the security around the camp was weakened. The manticore sensed it and came here, but Percy got the fleece back to the tree in time to save Connor and Travis, but now he's stuck fighting it!" Someone told me. I didn't bother to look at who was speaking.

I pulled on my cap, turning invisible, and grabbed a sword out of an unsuspecting camper's hand. I ran, unseen, towards the battle and stood beside my best friend. "Percy, it's me. I'll be at your left. Lure it over here so I can sneak up on it." I whispered in his ear.

Percy gave me a quick nod, although his mind was elsewhere as he focused on surviving the battle ahead of him. I ran to his left and swung the visible sword to let him know where I was. Percy ran around in a circle past me as I slashed at its belly. The manticore roared with rage, and I began to fight instead.

I was doing great. I could go on like this forever. I laughed triumphantly and whirled around the manticore to slash at its backside. Again, it let out a pained cry and tried to find me. It caught sight of my sword and lunged, although I was already running to the left as it swung its poisonous tail in my direction. Hoping to set it off course, I feigned to the right and then began running left again, but the manticore was clever. It angled its tail in my direction as I ran towards it. I skidded to a halt, but I was cornered. So, this was it, then. I was about to die.

As it whipped towards me, I closed my eyes and waited for the pain to come, but the speed of its strike didn't match the speed at which the blow came. And surprisingly, the blow never came, but I still heard screams from behind me. And through the screams, I heard a pained, human cry, and I was shocked that it did not come from me.

Cautiously, I opened my eyes and looked around. The manticore lay dead, Percy's beloved sword Riptide emerging from its flanks. The crowd of campers behind me were all standing silent with shock, looking past me at something else, their eyes glazed. I gulped and turned around, already having a feeling what I was about to see.

Percy was slumped across a heavy tree trunk, his eyes closed and his face dripping with a cold sweat. My eyes lingered from his pained face down to his body, where a great, red circle was beginning to bloom across his t-shirt.

Everything I know, and everywhere I go
It gets hard but it won't take away my love
And when the last one falls
And when it's all said and done
It gets hard but it won't take away my love