(11) The Monster Under the Dragon's Bed

(I was working on a new chapter when I realized that the last one hadn't been updated. AGAIN. -_- so I just sort of combined what I had so I could post instantly. Apologies for the delay.)

"Raees!" I nearly shouted.

He put the tray of food in his hand on the table beside the door. "Who else could it be?" His tone didn't sound rhetorical. His eyes were fixed on the spot where Rabbi sat, but I was sure he couldn't see him. He took a few steps forward, almost confused, before turning to face me.

"Eh, the tooth fairy?" He didn't appreciate the humour.

Not at all, since he was looking at me as if I'd cut up his favourite teddy bear before throwing it out of the window. If I didn't know any better I'd say he looked hurt.

Betrayed.

I opened my mouth to say something, I don't know what, but he didn't give me the chance. He just turned around and started walking.

"Raees!" He didn't stop. "Raees, wait!" When I realized that words weren't going to make him stay, I didn't waste anytime in jumping on his back.

"What are you doing?!"

"Since you won't stop, I'm going with you, duh."

There were a few moments of silence. "Let me go, Princess." His voice trembled.

If he was trying to scare me, he epically failed.

"Never!"

Slight pause. "Never is a long time, Princess."

"Looks like you're stuck with me then, Sparkles."

He tried to take me off of him, I just tightened my limbs around him in response. He let out a frustrated sigh, before moving me in such a way that I was hanging from his front instead of his back. "I'm not in the mood for this."

"You think I woke this morning thinking, hey! I want to be a koala bear today!"

"Princess-"

"Yes, my future King." I batted my eyes. The look he gave me was so incredulous that I couldn't help but chuckle awkwardly at my failed attempt to sound romantic. "What? It wasn't THAT ridiculous. Especially since you will be King at some point."

"No." He said, still looking at me with a weird expression, "That is not how it works."

It was my turn to look incredulous. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're wrong there, buddy. They call my mother the former Queen, because she married-"

"-a king, yes." He interrupted. He put his arms around me and tightened his hold when I started to slip. I tried not to smile in victory. "Because a Queen is always below a King. And that is exactly why I might be given the title of a Prince,  but never King-"

"Prince? PRINCE?! That's just stupid. I'm making you King as soon as they crown me. Hey, we can do it together! We could even get matching crowns-"

"Why?" He asked suddenly, interrupted me mid brilliant-idea.

"Eh, because it would look awesome?"

He shook his head, "I could seize power. Betray you. Why would you risk yourself by giving me the advantage?"

I really didn't know what to say to that. "I trust you." Surely he knew that?

"Why?"

OK, something was seriously wrong here. "You once told me that loyalty was the most important thing to you, and that you would always be loyal to me. I guess I just believe you."