(3) Fairy Godmother in the Creature's Disguise

I didn't know what to say. Maybe it was the shock over what had just happened, what I had just DID, but for the first time in my (remembered) life, I was speechless.

I mean, let's do a pause-rewind-play, shall we?

There was nothing there. Then I did something.

And now a freaking person was standing in front of me grinning like a human-ified version of the Cheshire cat!

"It worked." He said with wonder, "It worked!"

It worked. I screwed everything up.

Again.

I shook my head. No. He couldn't be real. He just couldn't.

No one can create something out of nothing, that's not how physics works.

I reached my hand out, and quickly pulled it back when it touched his very solid face. He was definitely real.

Guess magic had its own rules.

What had I done?

No, seriously. I'd just struck out at the vase in anger. I wasn't even thinking of a magic portal. I was just angry.

And desperate.

"Maisha?" The man asked, his huge smile slowly disappearing. "Are you OK?"

He knew my name.

Oh my God!

I had fused science with physics and done the impossible. There was no other explanation.

"I'm Dr Frankenstein." I whispered.

My shock turned into dread.

Dr. Frankenstein didn't have a very happy ending at all.

I shook my head again. This wasn't real. It was impossible. I really couldn't have-

"Maisha? I really think you should sit down." The man extended his hand towards me, but quickly pulled it back when he saw me staring at it with horrified eyes.

Of all the characters out there, Frankenstein.

Fitting. He didn't think of the consequences of his actions either.

And died because of that.

I stopped myself before I could shake my head again. He dies, but only because he runs away, when he should have stood there, and faced what he had done. And that was a mistake I wasn't going to make.

I was NOT going to run screaming. I was NOT going to yell for the guards, who would throw him in the dungeon for trespassing, even though he hadn't done anything wrong. Yet.

He was here because of me. I had done this, whatever this was.

This was my problem.

Instead of shaking my head this time, I nodded, remembering being asked if I was alright. "I'm OK, creature. Thank you for asking."

Rule 1. Never call it- him a monster.

He gave me a weird look. I tried to smile in response.

Rule 2. Be nice. Even if you're so scared, you literally have to put a hand on your chest so your heart doesn't jump out.

OK, maybe not literally...

He cocked his head to the side. "Would you like to sit down? Have a glass of water before we do this?"

"Do what?"

He didn't answer my question. "Sit, please."

"I'm OK, thank you-"