Amortentia

"I'm Quidditch Captain?" Harry stared questioningly at the parchment clasped in his right hand.

"Is Dumbledore right in the head?" Ron glowered over Harry's shoulder at the scrap of paper. 

Draco smirked to himself watching their reactions. Ron really was the jealous type. They all knew Ron had dreamed of being Quidditch Captain since the day he voiced what he saw in the Mirror Of Erised. After the news on Harry's captaincy, the four boys, having met Neville in the Great Hall, headed down to the Quidditch field. Harry had sent an owl to Professor McGonogall to book the pitch for the morning and for her to announce the tryouts to the rest of Gryffindor. 

Ginny waited for them on the pitch Hermione with her, causing Draco's heart to leap in his chest. Everything about her was beautiful. The way her nose was red from the cold, the way her hair flew about her head in the cold wind, the way her eyes were filled with so much adoration...for Weasley. 

The Gryffindor team assembled quickly that morning, and Ron was instantly stressed. McLaggen was after his spot on the team. Keeper was what Ron had always played; it was his position. But McLaggen was persistant. As he flew up to the hoops, his hands slid repeatedly off the room with the cold sweat coating his palms. Relax, he told himself. That's when he saw her. Hermione sat in the stands staring right at him. He instantly felt relaxed. Just being around Hermione calmed him. She was his home; no matter what happened she was always there for him. He didn't thank her often enough.

Hermione watched the keeper tryouts with extreme interest. She had never really been bothered about Quidditch, only ever attending to cheer on Harry or Ron and on occasion Draco Malfoy. She sighed as she looked at the blonde haired boy that stood on the ground talking to someone. She couldn't figure out what went through his head. He confused her to the point of questioning herself, something she had never done before she had met him. As if he could sense her eyes on him, his head jerked up in her direction and her mahogany eyes met the crisp silver of his. She quickly looked back at Ron, her cheeks hot. No, she liked Ron. She couldn't possibly like Draco Malfoy...could she?

Draco clenched his jaw as he glared at McLaggen. He liked Hermione? He didn't even know Hermione. Not like Draco did.
"She's looking our way." McLaggen comments and Draco looked straight behind him to where he knew she was sitting. For a split second their eyes connected, but she broke the connection, and when he followed her gaze, his eyes locked on Weasley.  He looked back at Hermione who's cheeks were now tinged pink.
With that, the anger that gnawed on the corners of his mind took over and drove Draco from the pitch. He stormed through the changing rooms and back on the pathway back to Hogwarts, not caring he would now lose any chance of being on the team. The year wasn't looking too good.

___________________________

It was their first day back to the normal flow of life at Hogwarts. Hermione was, as always, the first to potions class. She took a seat near the front of the class and got out her potions books as the rest of the class filtered in. Just as the class began, a lanky red head stumbled into the room, his black haired, spectacled friend behind him. Hermione's heart leapt as she set eyes on Ron, who was yet to notice her. She couldn't blame him, of course. He had other things to be thinking about other than where she was.

She had been so obsessed over Ron she hadn't been focusing on what Professor Slughorn had been saying. As she tuned back in, she realised they were supposed to be crowding around a desk. They gathered around three broiling pots of potions. She had zoned out again and quickly focused on what Slughorn was saying.
"-any ideas to what these might be?" Slughorn asked.

She recognised all three potions instantly, her hand shooting up to name them. Her eyes finally settled on the third; it's thick texture and the simmering surface instantly.
"And this is amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It is rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example I smell freshly mown grass, and new parchment and" She cut off as a new smell filled her nose. It was of washing powder, that much she could tell, but it was a specific type of washing powder. It was Draco's smell. She glanced at him, blushing profusely but knew she had to carry on talking, "spearmint toothpaste." She muttered the lie, shying away from the attention so suddenly and ignoring Slughorn's appraisals.

She looked down the row of people to where Draco Malfoy stood, his arms crossed tightly across his chest and his jaw locked. With his cloak off and white shirt sleeves rolled up to his biceps, she could see all the tense muscles cording his skin. Her heart sped up and her breathing hitched. Was it possible? Was she...attracted to Draco Malfoy?

Suddenly the class flew into action and her thoughts were pushed aside so she could focus on the task. Or at least try.

Oh my God. I just wanted to start off by saying thank you so so soooo much for the huge response I've had for these past few chapters!! Thank you to everyone who is voting and commenting on this fanfic and even just for reading it!! It means the word to me! Ah!

Secondly I'm gonna try and update every three days (key word being try) but sorry of I don't as I've got a ton of gcse mocks coming up so I've got a lot to focus on!
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and continue to all be amazing!!
Someone commented asking if Hermione was friends with Harry and the rest of the boys and the answer is yes. But only with Harry and Ron. She isn't as close with Neville and as you can see is not at all close with Draco. Yet....

Please let me know what you think of this chapter or what you think is gonna happen;)))
I have a huge arc for Draco's character so sorry if it focuses a lot on him (and Hermione) and I know this chapter focused a lot on Dramione but I promise to go back to Harry and his life a lot. Especially with the Marauders and Ginny. I might even give Neville a little bit of an arc or maybe Luna?? Comment who you'd like to read about and I'll include them more!!

So yeah, thanks for reading and please remember to vote and comment!!!