The Great Hall

It was different in the great hall. The air was still and a strange hubbub spread across the hall as they entered. Hermione fiddled with the ends of her sleeves practically picking them apart until Ron reached out and clasped her hand in his and her heart leapt. She looked up at him, but he wasn't looking at her. She watched as he swallowed thickly, trying to ignore all the stares they were getting and she understood. He was holding her hand, not because he knew she needed it, it was because he needed it. Her heart melted. They all settled at the Gryffindor table and tried to ignore the mutterings. Ginny leaned across the table to a pale Draco and rested her hand on top of his.
"It's okay, Draco." Her voice was full of empathy before she withdrew her hand and nestled back into the crook of Harry's arm.
Draco had thought is was Hermione's hand that took his, and looked up hopefully, only to have his hopes crushed. Of course it wasn't her. She was too infatuated with the idea of being with Weasley to even give Draco a second glance. He looked at Ron. He was so oblivious to Hermione's adoration and fury bubbled under his skin as jealousy reared its ugly head.
"Attention students!" Dumbledore silenced the hall and they swiveled to face him in their seats, "welcome back to another successful year of Hogwarts. This year will be different. The ministry didn't want me telling you this, but I think it would be stupid for you not to know. Now Voldemort is back, they are building up their empire. I must warn you now that at any given moment, any time you are weak, they will be there and they will attempt to recruit you. My words to you all are, is this: There is safety in numbers."

"Yeah, and there's also death in numbers, more commonly known as a massacre." Draco muttered under his breath and caught Hermione frowning at him. 

After the meal, they headed back up to the Gryffindor common room. Draco, Harry, Ron, Neville, Hermione and Ginny sat around the fire. Ginny and Harry were wrapped up  in their own little world, Ginny sitting in Harry's lap, her head laying against his shoulder, her eyes shut as Harry traced patterns on her skin. It was times like those that Harry savored. Him and Ginny both knew where this was going. They were in love, and had been ever since Harry saw Ginny's limp body in the Chamber of Secrets. The world was changing around them, darkening and twisting, and sometimes it was the simple things that just grounded Harry, making the hell around them seem less...hellish. 

Hermione sat curled on the floor against the sofa, her book in her lap. She tried to read it but just ended up reading the same page over and over again, absorbing nothing. She knew the cause. She looked up to see Ron talking animatedly to Neville by the fire, his gestures large and his face practically glowing.

"Why do you do that?" She heard the sharp, spiteful voice of Draco Malfoy.

"Do what?" She could feel heat flood her cheeks as she had been caught watching Ron.

"Torture yourself over Weasley." He stated and her eyes widened and her mouth dropped open slightly.

"I do not! How dare you- why would you- ugh!" She got up, snapping her book closed and storming out of the common room to her dorm.

Draco's silvery eyes met the dark ones of Ron's.
"What's up with her?"
Draco pushed down the instinctive resentment for Ron and offered him a shrug.
"Girls. Crazy."

Yes, this part is super SUPER short. Sorry. But I am working on two books at once (called Not That Simple in case u wanna check it out;))) so it's a lot to keep on top of. Plus I'm kinda leading up to something with this so bare with the bit of a boring start. Btw did u like the casual slip of a Teen Wolf quote?? And can u tell where Draco's thoughts are headed??? If u think u know, comment and I'll let u know if ur right *smiles evilly*
Please vote and comment to let me know whatcha think and thank u for reading!!!