Chapter 3

~~~ The day I go 'home' ~~~

   Today was the day I go home. I was channel surfing trying to find he food network, since cake wars should be on. I then realized I was really far behind on my my big brother. What was I supposed to do!

   "Elizabeth?" A female notice asked as she knocked on the door.

   "Hello." I replied, peeking my head trying to see if she was coming in.

   Sqeeeeeeeeeak!

   I heard wheels of a cart getting louder and louder. Yay. That meant a blood test.

   "Good morning, Elizabeth." Doctor Katrin said as she set her clipboard down on a table.

   "Morning." I said and watched her fumble with some tools. Yay. Tools.

   "Okay Elizabeth, so today we are just going to run one more test and make sure your all clear to go home!" She proudly exclaimed as dropped something sharp.

   "Ah...!" She said through gritted teeth, as it landed on her shoe.

   "Are you okay?" I asked.

   "Yup!" She lied. "I'm going to get a fresh tool now..." She said as her new white shoes started to turn a deep red.

*

   Joel was coming. My, Joel was coming. He was coming. It was coming. Love was coming.

   I tried to make myself look the very best, which was hard since I had one broken arm and being stuck in a wheelchair.

   I ran a brush through my hair and was finally able to change out those ugly hospital robes. It felt good to be able to wear a vid con t-shirt and jeans.

   "Elizabeth? It's time to go." The nurse said as she started to make my bed.

   "Oh okay." I replied and started to grab my teddy bear, cards, chocolate, and blankets.

   "Someone is here to pick you up at the front desk. Have a nice day!" She said.

   "Thanks for everything. I mean it." I replied and wheeled myself out. It smelled like cleaning wipes and screaming people.

   "Excuse me sorry." A women said as she pushed me out of the way. She was crying as she ran. I felt bad for her. She was probably losing a loved one.

   "Excuse me? Where do you think your going?" A girl behind me said. I turned my head to see one of Maddie's friends.

   "Alexa?" I asked, confused.

   "Yeah, let's go." She said and put on a smile, which was probably fake or paid for by Maddie.

   "I'm not going with you...I'm waiting for someone else-"

   "Yeah I know Joel. Change of plans. Maddie called me to come pick you up. So. Let's. Go." She said, getting more aggravated.

   Wasn't Maddie hurt or in the hospital too?

   "Yeah I'm not leaving." I said and wheeled myself to the main entrance. Now, where was Joel?

   "Does sleeping beauty want her prince? He's not here. What...did I...tell you. I'm taking you home." Alexa appeared out of no-where.

   "Maddie doesn't get to make the rules." I replied, sharply. I never liked Alexa, and I wanted to see Joel anyways.

    "I'm calling her." She threatened.

   "Kay." I said boredly.

   "I'm gonna dial her number..." The tall girl smirked and started to press the first 3 digits of my sisters number.

   "Interesting. Have a nice chat." I snapped and started to wheel away.

   Okay, seriously...where was Joel?

   "Yeah, I'm looking for Elizabeth. No, I'm supposed to check her out. What are you talking about?" I heard someones voice talking to the lady at the counter.

   "I'm right here." I wheeled up behind Joel, who turned around looking out of breath.

   "See! She's right here." He said pointing at me.

   "I'm sorry sir, but Alexa Meegan has to take her home. She signed her out."

   I felt like a library book.

   "I'm my own person...I can make my own decisions." I butted in.

   "Sorry honey, but your a patient here and you need to go home with Alexa. Have a nice day!" The receptionist said and shooed us along. Joel wheeled me out.

   "OH MY GOD LIZZIE YOUR SO COMPLICATED!" Alexa yelled, her heels clinking as she walked forward.

   "Let's go." She snapped and pushed Joel out of the way and started to wheel me away.

   "Joel! Joel!" I squealed as I tried to stop Alexa.

   "Stop! Stop! GET AWAY FROM HER!" Joel yelled and pushed Alexa to the ground.

   "Hey cutie..." Alexa said right before Joel pinned her to the ground.

   "No wonder your a friend of Maddie's." He said and knocked her out.

   "Joel!" I yelled, my eyes getting large.

   "She needed to learn. Let's go." He whispered and started to wheel me to his car. I guess she would wake up...eventually. 

*

   "...and I was just so tired of being stuck in that boring room." I sighed, as I started to become familiar with my surroundings.

   "I bet. Even I was sick of that room." He chuckled.

   "I guess things won't be totally normal." I said, lifting my casted arm.

   "Hey, I'll help. YouTube? I'll help. Food? I'll help. I can stay overnight anytime you want. Until you get better. And for the wheelchair..." He trailed off.

   "Yeah it's okay. Thanks, but I'll be manageable." I said, feeling like a little child.

   "Oh." He replied. Was he just trying to find time to...yeah never mind.

   "Anddddddddd welcome home." He said as he turned into my driveway. This was home all right. This was his home.