Emotionally Incapable (Third Book to Politically Incorrect)

Start from the beginning

Micah was welcomed into my family easily. My mother and father adored him, Fiore thought he was “delicious”, and Ian and Chad had become something akin to best friends with him. The only one who seemed to question it was Lana. When I asked her about it shortly after our engagement two months ago, she pursed her lips and took a deep breath before answering.

“If you truly love him, Christine, then I will too. I’m just ninety-nine percent sure that your heart was never returned to you. And that would make it near impossible to give to someone else. That just seems unfair not just to him, but to you.”

I had felt the rage build inside of me. Two years of hurt and anger caged in a cold part of my heart threatened to break free. “Well, what do you expect me to do about it?” I snapped at her angrily. “He left. He made his choice. He obviously doesn’t love me as much as I love him!”

Lana held up one hand to stop me, the other hand holding her pregnant stomach, eyes widening. “I didn’t mean it like that. I just want to make sure you’re entirely happy with him, with this decision.” She clarified.

“Well I am.” I answered shortly.

“Christine,” Lana pressed and I bit my lip.

“I am,” I repeated, softer this time. “Greg left a hole, that’s true. But I can’t dwell on it forever. And I do love Micah. Very much.”

“Okay then. I won’t say anything more about it.” Lana began rubbing her belly, gazing down at it lovingly.

“I just want what you and Ian have.” Lana’s smile grew.

“Then make sure you marry an idiot.” I laughed and she shook her head. “No, he’s wonderful…just keep in mind that something that wonderful doesn’t just come to you. It takes work, time, and some tears. But I’m sure you’ll have your happily ever after, dear. You deserve nothing less.”

I was brought back to the present as my mother came out and let out a sigh of relief. “There you are!”

“What’s happening?” I asked, standing.

“Ian and Lana are here!” She squealed excitedly and I felt my heart leap. I missed them living here.

“What on earth are they doing back? Should Lana really be traveling this late into her pregnancy?” Laura gasped, standing with me to head inside.

“Well, it seems that Lana is having some pregnancy issues and Ian felt more comfortable with them being in the city, just in case.” My mother explained as we walked toward the foyer.

“Is she alright?” I probed, hurrying my gait.

“Yes, yes. But she needs to be on bed rest for a while. She’s at the six month mark, so we have to be careful of her just going into labor unexpectedly. It could be dangerous.” My mother answered, looking a bit pale but attempting to brush it off.

I spotted Lana and her large belly waddling her way closer. For being only six months she looked huge. It seemed her tiny frame was having a hard time with the large belly. “Lana!” I shouted excitedly, running toward her and pulling her into a tight hug.

“Oomph!” She grunted at the impact before laughing. “Missed you too, dear.”

“Where’s that brother of mine?” I asked, elated to finally have them back here, if only for a little while.

“Oh, I’m sure he’s somewhere behind me.” She waved her hand flippantly and I giggled. She did look tired and pale though, which made me worried. I saw Ian enter behind her, his daughter in his arms. She’d just turned two and never stopped speaking. For once she was silent as she was fast asleep in her father’s arms. It was strange at first, seeing Ian as a father, but he’d taken to it quickly and very well.

“Hey Christine,” He whispered to me, giving me a half hug. I gazed at my niece softly and held out my arms.

“Let me take her to her room. I’m sure you’re exhausted. I’ll meet you both in the parlor?”

“Thank you,” He said, looking extremely appreciative. He transferred Guili into my arms and I hurried toward the staircase. I absolutely adored Guili, along with children and babies in general. I was pretty sure that it scared Micah a little. He wanted to wait a bit before we had any children, which I understood. I just didn’t see what exactly we were waiting for. I suppose it was just me, once again, wanting what Ian and Lana have.

It was just…even after all the chaos they’d been through and dealt with, they were strong, maybe even stronger. And so in love. That was all I wanted. As I placed Guili in her crib, I gazed at my ring again.

Would it be that way with Micah?

I turned on the baby monitor and carried the other half downstairs with me, heading to the parlor. Lana and Ian were seated on the couch looking exhausted beyond belief. “It feels so weird to be back here to live, even if for a little while.” Ian said, looking around.

“You should get used to it.” I added, sitting next to Lana and rubbing her belly. “Does this annoy you yet?”

“No. What annoys me is Ian whispering to him every night: ‘okay little man, remember, get lots of ladies before you settle down. Because once you settle down, it’s all downhill’.” Lana said, narrowing her eyes at Ian.

I snorted and Ian shrugged. “Just telling him what to prepare for.” Lana smacked him upside the bed, but was laughing too. Once the laughter died down, Lana turned to me.

“So, how have you been?” She asked, suddenly giving me a concerned look.

“Erm…fine? Why do you ask?” I replied, feeling confused by the sudden change in mood of the room.

“Well, I thought when you found out…well we weren’t sure how you would handle it.” Ian added and Lana nodded agreeably.

“What on earth are you two talking about?” It was silent for a moment as Lana and Ian shared a look. “Seriously, what?” I repeated.

“We thought maybe Fiore would’ve told you.” Lana said, looking sympathetic.

“Just tell me!” I snapped, impatiently.

“Greg is back.” Ian blurted bluntly and Lana smacked him again. “What? She asked!”

It felt as if my stomach had fallen into my seat. I felt nauseous as the blood drained from my face and Lana grasped my hand worriedly. I felt a sudden burning in my belly and narrowed my eyes. “Who cares?” I finally managed, my voice sounding stronger than I had realized I was capable. “Because I could really care less about that heartless, abandoning jerk.”

“Christine…” I stood up and stopped Lana from continuing.

“No. You all should be angry too. He didn’t just leave me, he left all of us. You want to know why? Because he wanted more than us. We weren’t good enough for him. You all can be welcoming if you want and refuse to acknowledge that he abandoned all of us, but I won’t be so forgiving.” I left without another word, feeling the anger once again bubbling within me, unable to cool it. What I really needed now was a cool shower and to get ready for dinner with Micah, because that was who mattered now. Micah. Not Greg. 

_________________________________________________

What do you all think?? Let me know! <3