Chapter Ten- Turning, Turning

"Can you believe it, Joly?" Josephine exclaimed, beaming from head to toe, "I am officially a professional writer! Well, a journalist of sorts, but still, a writer non the less!" The dreamer of a girl twirled herself around, throwing her arms out beside her. The hem of Josephine's plum dress flared out just the slightest, revealing her delicate, pale ankle. This allowed a cold winter to slide up Josephine's leg, causing a shiver in response. 

"I knew you had it in you, Josie. Tighten my coat around you, I would not want you to get a cold," Joly replied with an equal amount of joy in his voice while he watched Josephine dance in happiness. 

The two youths were walking back to their housing under the winter sun of the early afternoon. After upon hearing about the good news from the rather, shall we say, stubborn editor, Joly insisted on taking Josephine out for a celebration luncheon. Luncheon turned into a conversation about all of Josephine's opportunities and her bright future. Hours slipped by as the pair shared laughs and stories.

During the event, Josephine could not seem to make eye contact with her companion. For every time she would glance into Joly's deep, green eyes he would look else where. Josephine did not think much of it after it occurred a couple times but as their conversation went on she could tell that Joly was avoiding her eye contact rather awkwardly. She chose not to say anything on the subject, to ensure Joly would not be embarrassed  But still, it struck Josephine that something was off.

Moving back to the present, Joly cleared his throat, causing Josephine to stop with her twirling. "I, of course, will be walking you to and from your job, Josie." he vowed, as if he was making a serious promise to himself.

"Why so?" Josephine asked, slightly upset with Joly's remark. She did not see the need for this. 

"These streets are not the safest for girls your age," the medical student retorted, looking at his boots. Josephine was beginning to catch on to Joly's body language. Maybe his doing this meant he was uncomfortable in a way. 

Frustrated with Joly's change in mood, Josephine snapped back, "I am a twenty year old woman, I can look after myself." If Josephine wanted to be treated like a child she could have stayed home with her tyrant of a father. No, she thought to herself, anything would be better than staying in that jail of a house. 

"I understand," Joly assured in a soothing voice, "but, Josie, you are not quite fully familiar with the twisting and turning alleys of Paris. There is so little that you have seen." The university boy began to walk again, leaving Josephine just the slightest behind. 

"Then show me," Josephine replied, calming down slightly. The new Parisian yearned to learn more about her city. A city that she felt a strong connection with already.

"How about this," Joly mentioned, looking up into Josephine's eyes for the first time in a long  while, "everyday before my classes and your job I will show you all the aspects of the labyrinth of Paris." 

"Do you promise?" Josephine questioned, trying her best to hide notes of joy in her voice. 

"I solemnly swear," Joly replied, not bothering to hide his cheerfulness. Instead, he chose to smile down at Josephine. A smile that could be compared to the light of the sun. 

"Thank you!" Josephine cheered, unable to contain her happiness for another second. In the heat of the moment, Josephine decided to throw her arms around her friend, showing her gratitude. The thought was not well planned, she decided after doing so. For while she was hugging Joly, Josephine could feel his tense muscles.  

Embarrassed by her child like actions, Josephine released Joly from the hug, knowing that he would not hug her back. "My apologizes," Josephine murmured awkwardly. Now it was her turn to fix her gaze upon her slippers.