Chapter Two- The Meeting

I don't own Les Mis, sadly. I would love to be Victor Hugo. But I am not French nor a man. Dang it. Anyway, here's chapter two! Stuff happens! Super excitedddd! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Early morning sunlight illuminated Josephine's small room as she awake from her deep sleep. Opening her eyes she sat up straight in a unfamiliar bed. Blinking rapidly she tried to remember why she was in this room. Taking in a breath, the memories of yesterday hit Josephine. Leaving home, traveling through France, arriving in Paris, talking to the little boy, barely escaping the riot, it all be came clear to her. Today is the first day of her new life.

Getting out of bed with a start, Josephine looked at the mess around her. She noted the extra chair next to the wooden door that she didn't see the previous night. Josephine also noticed that the room was painted a baby pink, though it now looked almost white. Sighing to herself contently Josephine decided it was time to settle into her new home. Putting a trunk on the mattress, Josephine began to unpack her many articles of clothing.

Half way through her task, Josephine heard a knock at the door. startled by the sudden sound in the silent room Josephine froze. Who can it be? Josephine wondered to herself. Looking down at herself, she noticed that she was still in her dress from the previous day, a light lavender gown with wool stockings the same color underneath, due to the chill in the air. Grabbing a travel mirror that once belonged to her grandmother, Josephine decided that her hair still looked decent, her curls had fallen, leaving her silky hair wavy. It will have to do for now, Josephine thought as she turned to face to door. Another knock rang in the room as Josephine slowly made her way towards the door. Smoothing down the front of her dress, Josephine opened the door with a held breath.

"Hello, Mademoiselle," said the young man standing at Josephine's doorway, in his early twenties, Josephine guessed. His was clearly handome, with large green eyes that looked much like her own. His hair was a mess but it seemed to suit the stranger well. Both his hands were placed in his high waisted trousers. Wearing a green over coat, Josephine could tell that this young man came from a wealthy family.

"Hello, Monsieur," Josephine replied politely as she stuck her hand out for the young man to shake.

Not taking her hand the young man said, "Sorry, Mademoiselle, but I am afraid I'm coming down with some sort of cold." Glancing at Josephine's out-stretched hand then back at her face the young man smiled. Josephine was startled by his comment but his care-free expression eased her nerves. His hands were still in his pockets and he rocked slightly on his heels. Placing her own hand against her dress Josephine cleared her throat.

Noticing this the young man retorted, "Oh my, where are my manners? I'm becoming Grantaire. Please, forgive me for my rudeness, I'm Joly." A perfect smile spread crossed his face as he spoke. The man named Joly looked truly happy to be talking to Josephine. She couldn't help but feel happy as she looked at him. Though his behavior was odd, Josephine felt comfortable around him.

"I'm Josephine," said the twenty year old as she welcomed her guest in, "But you can call me Josie," she added with a smile.

"Josie, it is then," said Joly with a smile as he followed Josephine into her living quarters.

Looking around her room Josephine noticed that is was still quite messy, "Please excuse the mess, I just moved in last night," she said as she picked up some clothes that were on the floor.

"It's quite alright, Josie, you should see Courfeyrac's and Marius's room. What a mess. Though when Gavroche stays he tidies the place up," Joly replied with a twinkle in his green eyes.