nineteen

Always In Control

Trav

I stormed out of Blue's house and threw my bag in the back of the car.  I drove at full speed back to my house.

It had been a long time since I'd been here and it felt like a relief to be away from everyone else and back to Mariah.

I went inside the house and saw most of the furniture wrapped in Bubble wrap, some in boxes and some still not done.

The kitchen still had the basic things like food and the fridge was still running. I opened it and took out a bottle of some half-finished drink that Mariah had left. I drank the rest and threw it in the bin.

I went upstairs and saw all of Mariah's clothes were in her suitcases. I emptied my side of the closet and took out all of clothes, putting them in my suitcases.

It took around 10 minutes do that. I also had to phone the delivery men.

I dialed the number Mariah had texted me and waited for to answer .

"This is WeTake delivery service . How can I help you?" a cheery guy answered.

"I'm calling on behalf of Mariah Rodgers. She had apparently ordered two trucks to Chicago ."

"Just a second sir." she put me on hold as I put my phone on loudspeaker so I could go on other apps whilst talking.

I went to Mario's instagram profile and saw a picture of him and Charm. I moved to Charm's page and saw a picture of Blue in the red dress from when it was Mariah's moms birthday.

I stared at the picture as guilt filled up inside me. I came out of the app .

"Okay, you're trucks should be outside of your house." The guy spoke.

"Aight. Thank you."

The call ended and I shoved my phone in my back pocket. I went downstairs and opened the front door as two large trucks arrived. They parked up directly outside of the house.

2 men came out of each truck .

"Hey. We'll be helping move the furniture. Where should we start?" The first guy asked.

Just in the nick of time Mariah walked in wearing her two-piece outfit and a big smile.

"Hey. I think it's best if you move everything from the hallway into the first truck and furniture from the living area into the second truck. " she said.

The four men all nodded their heads and got to work.

"Is that all you're taking?" I asked her.

"Yeah. We'll buy new furniture for our bedroom and and the kitchen. "

"Waste of money." I muttered. Mariah rolled her eyes as she looked around."I'm also thinking of getting some furniture for the guest bedrooms."

"Guest bedrooms?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes! My parents will be staying over regularly. They're getting old now and I know my mother wants me to look after her . My father insists he can look after himself but I don't believe him." she laughed to herself.

"I can handle your mom , she's not that bad .. but your father? Nah. Stick him in an old people's care home." I objected.

Mariah stared at me in shock. "Trav, that's so rude. I would never do such a thing. Maybe that's what they do in your culture but we do things differently. "

I ignored her slight racist remark. "This will be my house aswell and I do have a say in this. I don't want your parents to live in my house."

"Whatever Trav. They will be allowed to stay over sometimes."

She wasn't understanding what I was trying to say so I changed the subject.
"Are we taking a plane there ?"

"I suggest you drive there. "

"I'm not driving for 29 hours."

"Okay, well if we go on a plane  I only want first class ." she smiled and folded her arms.

"So you're saying you won't go on a plane unless it's first class?"

"Yes."

I shook my head in disbelief. "You're not being serious. That's even more money being spent . We can just sit in the  normal seats."

"So I can sit with un-civilised people who want to to make noise when I'm trying to get my beauty sleep? No Trav!" she whined. "First class or no class."

"Okay but you're paying for it."

She opens her mouth. "Trav, I have been paying for these delivery trucks and the house. "

"Yes, but you know that I will pay for the electricity bill , paying for your phone bill, my phone bill, your yoga class, your gym membership,   paying for your designer bags,  paying  for both of our cars and I also paid for the rent for this house.  So don't get annoyed that I don't want to pay for stupidity, like first class. "

Mariah rolls her eyes. "Okay, well I guess you're driving."

She was smoking dick if she believed I was driving for 29 hours. Over my dead body.

•••

The hallway and living area were completely empty, similar to when we first moved in. The delivery trucks were already on their way to the new house with the furniture. They were going to take it inside and leave it there until we arrived.

It was 8.00 pm but I had told dad I couldn't come in today because of the whole chaos going on .

"Is it your last day working at that strip club tomorrow?"

I nod my head. "Yeah. They're probably going to throw some party or something. "

"I want to come with you."

I looked at her sceptically. "You want to come to a strip club in Chicago?"

She smiled. "Yeah. I'll feel safe if you're there with me . I want to be there to share your last day with you. You can even do a small speech."

"This is weird coming from you."

"Whatever. I can't wait till you're out of that place anyway. It's so ghetto ." she gets up from her vanity and gets into the bed, wrapping her arms around me. "We'll be out of this place soon. I can't wait to leave." she yawns and in seconds she's asleep.

It was hard for me to sleep. Mariah found everything so easy. She was moving closer to her family, I was moving far away. She was getting her way.. I wasn't.