Chapter 5: Clothes are what friends are for

Gathered around the piano in are Finn, Artie, Mercedes, and Mike. Blank pieces of paper scatter across the piano and names pinned on the bulletin board they are looking at discussing roles.

"Okay, we need to do that thing where we call people back," Finn said struggling to come up with the word ",What's that called?"

"Callbacks" Mike and Mercedes answer used to Finns unsophisticated vocabulary.

"I don't know. I feel like Kitty has the inside track on Sandy."
Artie shares feeling strongly upon his opinion ",Sandy can't be brunette."

"Oh, like Maria couldn't be black? " Mercedes says still holding a grudge

"That was a year ago, Mercedes. Let it go," Artie speaks once again. Mercedes rolls her eyes.

"Well Laurel's blond too and I'd hate to say this but her voice beats out both Marley and Kitty," Mercedes points out.

"I second that," Finn picks up a piece of paper and writes Laurel on it. Before he gets a chance to pin it to the bulletin board Mike interrupts

"Her voice is great, but we don't even know if she can dance."

"She did also just walk out in the middle of her song and we don't know if she'll stay on stage during Grease."

"So two of us want her in.." Mercedes starts.

"And two of us don't.." Artie finishes.

"How do we decide what to do?" Mike asks.

"Flip a coin?" Finn suggests.

"No." Artie says. "We ask her if who she wants to play, if she wants to play Sandy we'll call her back, if she wants to play someone else we'll give her that role"

All of them shake their heads in agreement.

"Okay, so we call back all the Sandys and the Dannys.
What about the rest?" Finn said closing the matter of the lead roles.

"Brittany for cha-cha, she's the best dancer," Mike said pinning Brittany's name on the bulletin board.

"You know, Tina would make a great Jan. It's too bad she won't audition because she refuses to be in the same room with Mike." Everyone looked at Mike after Mercedes spoke.

"Okay, what about Rizzo? Now, I know it's way outside of the box, but I like Unique for it." Finn unsurely ,"He wants it so badly."

"He's the best singer, too," Mercedes pointed out.

"So, we cast a brunette as Sandy and a guy as Rizzo.
Who's directing this, Julie Taymor?" Artie shakes his head.

"Think about how cool it would be to do something really different," Finn says.

Though I don't agree with your choices, I appreciate your passion." Artie pats Finns back.
",It's nice to have the old Finn back."

-
-
-
-
-
Laurel tries to brush out her hair as she runs to school. The back room in an old dance studio provided her a place to sleep tonight unfortunately it didn't provide her the proper tools to tame her wild hair.

"You need this more than I do," Amber hands her a small plastic comb she got from her jacket. Laurel smiles gratefully. Amber laughs as she watches Laurel try to untangle her curly blond hair while balancing her backpack on her shoulder.