Chapter Twenty

The soft sheets, pressed against my warm skin, protecting it from the cold. From the outside world. Although, the blanket, wouldn't be the only thing that I felt protecting me. I felt something, around my waist, pulling me close to something I couldn't comprehend. I was much too tired to do so. But, for now, I would just keep my eyes closed, and think.

My mind, immediately drifted off to Gajeel, making me smile slightly. The way his eyes lock with mine is memorizing, as I try to understand what emotion his eyes are trying to tell me. How many secrets, they're trying to unravel. I have a strange feeling he's hiding something, but I won't pry. I'll let him tell me if he ever does.

Then that brought me to think about my secrets, my emotions. The deep, dark and haunting nightmares called memories, flooded every piece of mind I had. I could feel the bandages wrapped around my skin. I could feel the scars beneath them. I could feel the lingering pain, that wouldn't go away. No matter, how much medicine you gave me.

There was something there. Something, not physical, nor emotional. It was like, a pressure that was pressing into my body, everywhere. I had felt it ever since my mother started her abusive habits, but it's been growing stronger lately. A part of me, tells me that it's the pressure of not telling someone, that I should tell someone.

Gajeel's face popped into my mind again, and I knew, I couldn't tell him. I couldn't bear to see him look at me differently, or maybe worse, leave me. I couldn't take the risk of losing him or having his eyes constantly on me, looking at me as if I was a helpless puppy. Maybe he would even look at me like the worthless piece of trash my mother thought I was. I starting to see myself in that way too.

I was brung back into reality, by the arm around me, holding me tighter. I felt little kisses being planted on my shoulder, to my neck.

"Mornin' Shrimp," He grumbled, against my skin. His morning voice was huskier, deeper. Images of last night played through my mind; my nightmare, his comforting, how we talked for hours.

"Good morning," I breathed, smiling and placing my hand on his. I started to run my hand up and down his arm, stopping, to play with his metal piercings.

"What are we going to do today?" I asked, turning my head slightly to catch a small glimpse of his closed eyes.

"Can't we just stay like this?"

I giggled, shaking my head.

"Come on, let's actually do something! I want to spend some time with Wendy," I told him, wiggling out of his grasp and sitting up. I stretched my arms up, letting out a small yawn. I heard a low growl, as the black haired man beside me sat up too. I noticed that when I stretched my arms up, the sleeves of my pajamas feel down, exposing some bruises.

I frowned, quickly pulling it back down and standing completely up. Gajeel grunted, falling back down on the sheets, that danced around him. I giggled, skipping over to his side and putting both hands on my hips.

"Let's go, sleeping beauty," I teased, pulling his arm, which was getting me nowhere.

"Hey, you're the only beauty here,"

I slapped his arm, trying to hide the fact that my face was probably a dark red.

"I'm going to go get dressed, you should too," I mumbled, shuffling over to the bathroom and closing the door. I looked in the mirror, causing me to huff because of my resemblance to a tomato.

"Stupid Gajeel....." I mused, sighing and changing out of my pajamas and into the outfit that was conveniently placed on a hanger behind the door. It was a long-sleeved, white blouse, which I tucked into crimson pants. I tamed my unruly hair, slipping on a white headband to match my attire.

I opened the door, to be greeted by an empty bed, with scattered sheets. I laughed slightly, knowing Gajeel actually did get out of bed. I exited the large room, wandering down the hallway until I reached the stairs. I had my foot hovering over the first step before I heard a slight bang sound coming from one of the rooms.

"What happened?" I called, starting to make my way over to the door where I heard the sound come from. The door opened, revealing Wendy, dressed in what I guessed, were her pajamas. It consisted of; a short sleeve shirt, and shorts. They both were a pastel blue, spotted with white polka dots.

"Wendy, what was that sound?" I asked, inching towards the small girl.

"Oh, it was just some of my books falling......."

"Do you need help putting them away?"

"If you don't mind......"

"Of course not!" I giggled, excited I would be able to at least see books again. I loved to read, it was all I ever did apart from school and spend time with my mother and father. But I hadn't been able to read one in quite some time....... Shaking my head, I stepped into her room, looking around. The walls were painted a dark blue, pretty similar to her hair color. White tile covered the floor, which housed everything on top. A half-filled bookshelf laid in the corner, with books, scattered in front of it.

"Wow, I love your room!" I told her, scanning it again, noticing the light blue desk and possibly queen-size bed.

"Thanks! I like it too!"

I went over to the pile of books, crouching down to pick a couple in my hands. Just the feel of the rough fabric of the covers made my body ache to read them. I looked at the white pages, sighing and placing them back on the shelf.

"So, you like to read?" I asked her, crouching back down to grab some more.

"I love to read! Although...... you can probably tell that Gajeel doesn't like to read....." She laughed, picking up a book and tucking it away.

"Yeah, I've noticed that you guys are pretty different," I commented, giggling.

"I'm more like mom and Gajeel is more like dad, even though he doesn't like to admit it."

As I picked up another book, I gasped, seeing the cover.

"What happened?" Wendy asked, urgently.

"O-Oh...... it's just that..... this was my favorite book....." I smiled, letting my finger linger over the hem of the pages.

"Would you want to read it again? You can borrow it, I still have a couple books to read myself," She offered, picking up the last of the books that fell on the floor.

"I..... I can borrow it?" I asked, too shocked to really answer. The dark blue haired girl in front of me nodded, pushing the book closer to me.

"Thank you! Thank you, thank you!" I gushed, hugging her and holding onto the book at the same time. She stiffened, probably shocked at my sudden outburst. It had just been so long since I had read a book. My favorite book. I pulled away, stupidly wiping tears that I couldn't control.

"Why are you crying?" She suddenly asked, knitting her eyebrows together.

"It's just that I'm so happy you gave me this book!" I cried, laughing slightly. She smiled a smile that I was so glad I got to see. I had received so many smiles, lately. It was so strange...... so foreign to be given a smile. But, I was glad I was able to be gifted some.

---------------------------

Hello, everyone! This was mostly a filler chapter, I wanted to give Levy and Gajeel a little break from the emotional roller coasters XD Let me just say, that I am so amazed at how well this book is doing. I never thought it would come this far. All the comments you guys leave honestly, make my day. Thank you!