Chapter Two

I sat there, trying not to sob onto his grave. I wanted to respect him, as best I could in this particular situation. "Well, mom hasn't gotten any better..... She's actually gotten worse. She misses you so much, even if she doesn't show it. I just wish that......" I started to cry. A puddle of tears formed beneath me. I ran out of breath so I stopped myself, leaving me sniffling violently.

"I just wish that you were here!" I screamed, jumping on the gravestone. I tightly hugged it, crying into its stone hard chest. "D-Dad..... Please help me...." I trailed off. Sure, it was pretty silly to ask a grave for help, but I believed that my dad was listening. And that he would help me because that's the kind of person that he is. I looked to the side and saw that the gravestone next to me, had a ton of flowers on it. A smile appeared on my face.

"I didn't bring you flowers, because I know how much you hated them," I laughed, my breaths becoming more steady. I was there, about two hours. I just talked to my dad. Every time I would ask a question or tell him something, I would always imagine his response. I knew his voice so well, I could hear it, echoing in my mind.

"I miss you. So much, but I know you're in a better place now. And I hope you're happy there," I gently skidded my fingertips over the top of the grave. "Bye, dad." My voice, slightly cracked when I said 'dad'. I cleared my throat and got up. My legs felt like noodles and I wobbled my way out of the cemetery. My heart was slowly beating as I took each step.

The dead leaves, making a cracking sound, as my foot crushed them. The silent trees, swayed back and forth, dancing along with the wind. My hands, went to my forearms, rubbing up and down, quickly. Trying, to get warm. My teeth chattered, as I got to the exit of the graveyard. A single tear, left its rightful place in my eyes, slightly altering my vision.

I used the back of my wrist, to wipe it away. Sure, I wiped away the year. But I didn't wipe away, the pain that caused it. Another sudden breeze came out of the blue, sending me almost falling backward. The intensity of the cold was almost freezing me to death. The harsh hands of the cold wanted to grab me and in prison me, in its horrible home.

At this point, I honestly wouldn't care if the cold swept me away into a void of nothingness. Actually, I want the cold to take me. I want to escape this life. This..... Life. Would you even call it that? Would this even be considered a "life"? I didn't really know. Small voices in my head kept telling me to end my misery right here, but I couldn't bring myself to do that.

I snapped out of my thoughts, when I saw a small drug store, labeled "Jet's Jet Fast Service Drug Store" I jumped up the slightest bit, excited to get into a warm building. Even though I knew it was supposed to be cold, I didn't wear a jacket. I rolled my eyes at my own, horrible mistake. Not taking into a count the distractions that came along with leaving the house.

I crossed the abandoned street, almost tripping over a crack in the road. I ignored my clumsiness and walked up to the store. I peeked in and saw a skinny man at the counter, restocking a couple rows of different gums. I then saw, an "Open" sign, near the door. I smiled at the sign and turned the frost covered, doorknob. Pieces of ice, adding to the coldness of my hands. I barely even noticed, due to how numb my hand actually was at this point.

The dark green door, swung open, making the small, rusty bell above me, make a small chime. I walked in, and struggled against the wind, trying to push the door closed. After using, all my force, I was able to close the door. I turned around to see the same man from before, staring at me. I was painting, and rubbing my hands together.

He continued to stare at me, as I slowly walked over to the small clothes area of the drug store. The store itself was fairly small. There were multiple shelves filled with things, everyone would look at, but never buy. Things that kids, would beg for but parents, would never buy. Knowing that the kid would forget all about the item in a couple days. And move onto the next toy or activity.

My small wedges, barely touched the floor as I hurried over to the jacket rack. On a thin, metal pole, was about, a dozen hangers. Each painted horribly in white. There were a couple shirts, but I skipped over them and went towards the jackets and coats. I picked out the biggest, and fluffiest one. I took it off its hanger and made my way over to the counter.

"H-Hello!" I said, slightly smiling at the man behind the counter. He had orange hair, which was pulled back into a ponytail. Its ends sticking in all different directions. His white shirt, was clearly too big on him, going below his waist. "Hey!" He replied, showing me his perfect, pearly white teeth. I laid the coat on the counter, making a low, creaking sound.

I rested my hands, on the coat, taking in its warmth. I closed my eyes and slightly grinned, I loved the feeling of my hands beginning to defrost. He grabbed the coat, my fingertips, gently brushed against his, sending chills down my spine. Even though I only touched him, the tiniest bit, I felt the warmest I had that entire day.

While he was scanning the barcode of the tag, he kept stealing glances at me. His smirk, not going unnoticed. I couldn't help but blush at the fact he was constantly looking over at me. "So," He stated, typing something on his computer "what does a pretty girl like you, have to do with a coat at this time of night?" His eyes never left mine.

"W-Well I..... Well, I umm... I didn't get the chance to put on a jacket when I left home, so I had to buy one." I explained, playing with my fingers. His eyes widened. "You're telling me, that you have been out in this weather, without a jacket?" He asked, his voice slightly raised. "Y-Yes...... I knew that it was going to be c-cold but I don't know it was g-going to be this cold...." I squeaked, wishing I was a child so I could hide behind my mother.

He grabbed my hands, feeling them. "Your hands are freezing cold!" He almost yelled, running his thumb over my index finger. I just stared at him, not knowing what to say. He let go of my acing hands, and rested the back of his hand, on my cheek. "You're face is cold too!" He said, shocked.

"I... Know I just...." I trailed off, looking to the side. "You need to warm up! Follow me." He commanded, gently. He opened a small door at the side of the counter. I waddled over to it and squeezed through the small opening. He led me to the back, where there were a couple doors. He went to the first one, gesturing me to follow him.

He flashed me a reassuring smile and went inside. I weakly followed, stepping into the room. The room was painted a faint gray, on the right side, was a small fireplace. Flames danced on the wood, giving me a tingling sensation just looking at it. To the left, were three chairs. All were a dark gray and looked worn out. But also, comfortable.

He was sitting, on one of the chairs, looking over at me and smiling again. I managed to move my feet, and they took me over to the chair across from him. I sat down, slowly sinking into the chair. It felt like, I was a boat, slowly being filled with water, doomed to sink to the bottom of the sea. I crossed my legs, out of habit, and looked at him.

"I'm Jet, by the way." He explained, his eyes, still on me. "L-Levy!" I replied, forcing a smile. An awkward silence fell upon us. Overtaking the small words that were formed in the past. Only time would tell when this silence would end. Or, if it ever would. My eyes wandered all over the room. Never once, looking at Jet.

My hazel eyes found the fireplace. "You can sit by it, if you want," I heard Jet say, sounding caring and gentle. I looked back, eying him. "Are you sure?" I asked, not wanting to intrude. "I'm positive!" He answered, gesturing over to the fireplace. I got up from my sinking chair and walked over to the fireplace.

It felt as if, the fire was beckoning me. Pulling me by an invisible rope. Forming an urge to go near it. So when I finally reached it, I almost let out a groan of pleasure, as the heat, filled my body. I could practically feel the ice coming off my skin, and melting away on the floor. I smiled. At least, there were some people, that would help others.

------------------------
Hiya everyone! I'm really happy with how much love and support this story is already getting! It's almost at 50 reads and I've only published two chapters! That's crazy! A lot of people wanted me to update and I finally did! I think/hope this story is going to become a success! Anyways, remember to vote and comment, I love to hear from you!