Chapter Twenty Eight

"Lay her down over there!" Saige gestured to the table hurriedly.

Aster and Jeffrey helped to get Violet onto the table, careful not to let the arrow sink deeper into Violet's chest.

Saige pushed them out of the way, grabbing Violet's wrist and held her breath. When she felt the faint pulse, Saige exhaled with relief.

Rose was holding Acacia's hand tightly as they watched Saige get to work. Lily was pacing in the back, a million thoughts rushing through her head.

Everyone snapped their heads up when the door burst open. Thierry stumbled inside, massaging his left wrist.

"Oh my goodness, Thierry!" Lily gasped when she saw blood all over his hands.

"I'm okay," Thierry grimaced.

"What happened?" Rose asked in concern.

Thierry's eyes flashed a pained look, both physically and emotionally. "Ivy," he finally said after a moment's silence.

Aster inhaled sharply, putting his head in his hands. "Where is she?" Aster asked, as Saige began treating Violet's wound.

Thierry shook her head. "She fled to the forest." Thierry clenched his right hand into a fist. "That's not all, though. Ivy... or whoever that was, she killed a portion of the Red Phoenixes that were fighting Azalea knights. Some knights died too as they were caught in the crossfire, and... a few citizens outside the citadel as well."

Lily emitted another gasp while Rose brought a hand to her racing heart. Acacia widened her eyes, trying to hold in her sobs. "Ivy would never do that!"

Thierry said nothing, casting his eyes downward.

Aster finally broke the silence, his voice wavering slightly. "I don't understand. What happened to Ivy? It was like she was a whole other person..."

None of the Azaleas answered him, since they were just as shocked as he was.

Aster nearly flinched when Jeffrey placed a hand on Aster's shoulder. "Your Majesty, I am afraid that Ivy has turned dark."

"D-Dark?" Lily asked before Aster could.

Jeffrey nodded grimly. "Princess Ivy not only killed a good portion of the Red Phoenixes, but according to Sir Thierry she also killed a few knights and citizens from the citadel."

"Those poor citizens..." Rose said to herself.

"No!" Acacia protested, tears forming her eyes. "You're wrong! Ivy would never do that!"

"Not intentionally," Jeffrey continued. "The darkness must have taken control over her during the eclipse."

Acacia sniffled. "How come the darkness didn't affect the rest of us? Why only her?" She asked, failing to understand why her sister was suffering.

Everyone lowered their heads solemnly. No one wanted to be the one to answer Acacia, but Jeffrey finally said, "It is most likely because Princess Ivy was the only person to not have magic at the time of the eclipse." He rubbed his forehead in horrified realization. He stated his theory. "The eclipse is supposed to subdue Azalea magic, but since Princess Ivy had no magic for the eclipse to subdue, perhaps the eclipse turned her dark instead."

Saige's eyes darkened as she cleaned Violet's wound to lessen the blood. Listening to the conversation was just painful. The thought of a thirteen year old girl she knew so well killing someone? It felt absurd just thinking about it.

"The eclipse is over now; our magic has returned," Rose said. "Will the darkness in Ivy disappear after the eclipse as well?"

Lily and Acacia looked up with hopeful eyes, but Jeffrey shook his head. "I'm sorry, but according to my understanding, the darkness will never go away."