Chapter Twelve

Saige bit her lip as she threaded the string through the needle. Every moment she felt an intense stare watching her every move. Saige breathed in deeply before bringing the needle closer to the shoulder wound.

She nearly dropped the needle when she heard the assassin say, "You seem nervous."

Saige stopped and calmly placed the needle onto the tray of tools. "I'm trying to concentrate." She winced inwardly at what she said. How can I concentrate when he can kill me for making the smallest mistake? This was so much easier when he was unconscious.

Chase seemed to notice Saige's stress. It was indeed late at night, and watching the poor girl trying to heal him with shaky hands and subtle droopy eyes made him reconsider threatening her.

Chase said calmly but not in a menacing way, "It seems that I have frightened you." Another flinch from the girl. "There's no need to rush. As long as you don't call the guards, then I won't kill you."

Saige glanced at the gray eyes that were visible from behind the crow mask. His eyes currently held no ill intentions. That seemed to have calmed Saige down. Her eyes suddenly sparked with resolve as she began to close the wound.

Saige stood up and opened a drawer filled with bandages. She took a roll and closed the drawer. Saige then asked cautiously, "How do you know my sister?"

Chase's head snapped up. He replied, "She's one of the head maids of the castle. Besides, not a lot of people have ginger colored hair."

Saige curtly nodded, noting to herself to talk with Amber later. Saige grabbed the scissors and began cutting a large chunk of the gauze bandage.

"If you're not Amber, then what is your name?" She suddenly heard the assassin ask warily.

Saige pursed her lips. She had hoped the assassin would not ask her that question.

"What's yours?" Saige replied defensively. Her eyes were still on the gauze. When no reply came, she then said, "Exactly."

Chase sighed. "I'm called Crow."

Saige snipped off the last bit of gauze. She said, "My name is Saige." She knew that Crow was just an alias, but at least he gave her something to call him by. Saige had a small feeling that conflict would arise if she continued to withhold her name.

Chase nodded, remembering to make note of that. He then remembered that he had been unconscious for quite some time. Anything could have happened within that time frame.

"You didn't take off my mask, right?" Chase asked, his voice dangerously calm.

Saige shook her head. "Lily said not to take it off. I don't know what the harm is, but I trust Lily."

Lily... Chase thought longingly. Lily's face flashed in Chase's mind. The princess I danced with... she caught me by surprise. I still don't know why she didn't turn me in. I'm glad no one took off my mask, though. All assassins shared a common ideal. He would have to kill anyone who unmasks him without his permission. No excuses. He didn't really have much emotion when it came to assassinations, but he'd rather choose his targets than be forced to kill someone.

Saige went to tape the bandage on top of Chase's wound, but then frowned when she noticed that she had cut it too short. Saige sighed, blaming her tiredness, before grabbing the roll of gauze again.

"So, why did you kill Queen Flora and Queen Amaryllis?" Saige asked, not really sure what else she should say.

Chase pointed his eyes to the ground, his voice barely audible. "They killed my family."